CareOne Debt Discussions

The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially.

Little Luxuries We Love Can Be Costly

• Comments 6

Hurrah!  After three months of job searching, Dear Hubby has started a new job and finally received his first paycheck.  Two people living on one salary while relocating to a new state and trying to sell a home has been quite stressful.  We’ve had to make major adjustments in our spending habits, and truthfully, it has not been fun for a Diva like me.

To celebrate Dear Hubby’s first pay check, we had lunch at a local sandwich shop.  In addition to my veggie sandwich, I got a Diet Coke and a chocolate chip cookie for dessert.  WOW!  After months of just purchasing the bare minimum of items I need, I forgot how those little luxury items like dessert and a soda can add up.  Those two items added almost $4 to my total bill.  And to be perfectly honest, I would have been just as satisfied with my sandwich and ice water.

I left lunch feeling overly stuffed and a little miffed at myself for spending money I could have saved – especially when I know that the cookies I bake cost less and are much yummier.  I could have also gotten a case of soda at a local whole sale store and had one drink for pennies compared to what I spent at the sandwich shop.

Sometimes we do need little luxuries to celebrate our successes, but now that I’m in the habit of closely monitoring my spending, I care more about what I purchase and the money spent.  For example, if I purchase food items, I want them to be delicious and well worth the cost.

When I make a purchase, I ask myself if the item is something I truly want and will sincerely enjoy.

This little exercise has worked wonders in helping me reduce my spending on frivolous things.  It has also helped me prioritize what items are really necessary and those that are not.   

Now that our household income has increased, my goal is to maintain my current spending habits and rebuild that emergency saving fund that took a big hit over the past three months.

I’ll keep you informed of my progress! Cha-ching!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment