Store brand vs. Name Brand Grocery Shopping Taste Test

CareOne Debt Discussions

The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially.

Store brand vs. Name Brand Grocery Shopping Taste Test

• Comments 8

A simple way to save money on your grocery bill is to substitute store brand items for your favorite name brand products.  In many instances, the store brand products provide a better savings than the coupon prices of brand name products.  

While many people have given store brand or generic items a try and love the results, others remain brand faithful because they are concerned that the store brands won't have the same quality and taste. 

I have purchased store brand items for quite some time, and wanted to share some of my favorite products to encourage you to give them a try!  You can be sure that I have taste-tested all of these items with great results.  If you've been hesitant to purchase store brand items, incorporate a few of these items on your next grocery trip. 

• Pasta. I started my store brand transition with the purchase of pasta. It's pretty hard to mess up dried pasta. I've used Kroger, Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Walmart (cheapest) brand pastas. They have all been great.
  • Canned Vegetables. Store brand canned vegetables are also great products. I never noticed a quality difference - just a big savings!
  • Spices. Spices can be very pricy, but they usually last a long time. The store brands are a great quality, and you often get more for less money.
  • Cheese. Store brand shredded cheese, cottage cheese, string cheese and cream cheese are all fantastic.
  • Eggs, butter, mayonnaise, jelly, and sugar. These are often offered in store brand versions and are fantastic.
  • Paper products. While I try to limit the number of paper products that I use, I do like Costco's Kirkland brand paper towels, tissue, and toilet paper. 

Send me your feedback. What store brand items have you taste tested? I'd love to get your thoughts and recommendations in the Comments, and I'll include them in next week's grocery blog!  

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I completely agree with the off brand tasting just as good, the only item I will not substitute is Kraft Miracle Whip.  Other brands just dont taste the same.  We have also substituted ordering subs from a pizza place and making them ourselves, its much cheaper.

• I used to purchase store brand items some years back, but found that many items in cans had a kind of "can taste." It's hard to describe, but when you compare the taste of frozen vegetables to canned, there is quite a difference. Furthermore, frozen vegetables are better for you because there is less sodium and no water to wash away the nutrients. Also, I discovered more "trash" in store brand foods. For example, more rocks, dirt and bad beans in dried beans; more stem pieces and husk and silk in canned green beans and corn. Store brands are a great way to save money, but if you shop around and try different brands, you will have a basis for comparison and can learn for yourself what you like better. We all have somethings that we just will not compromise on. I agree that I will only buy Miracle Whip, but also I only use Carnation evaporated milk, Land O Lakes butter, and SOS pads. I have learned by experience and trial and error that the quality of these items is superior and I accept the fact that I will pay a little more. There are other items for which I can accept no substitute, so I learned to cut corners and save money elsewhere. I hope this helps when you have to make choices between brands.

• If anyone is familiar with Wegmans Food Markets, they have great store brand items. This major company is found in New York, Penn., New Jersey, Maryland, and Virgina. I have worked there for seven years so I have tried hundreds of Wegmans brand product. They are great and I never buy brand name products anymore. The secret, Wegmans for instance uses Perry's for their ice cream, Campbell's for some of their soups, etc. That is why they taste so good. They are made from those brand names we trust. Give store brand names a try if you never have. They are extremely cheaper and sometimes even better!

• Thank you so much for your great comments!  I'm working on my blog for next week and will definitely include your suggestions. Take care!

• One thing that I have found in some store brand jellies is that it is made from juice instead of the real fruit eg. grape. That is one thing that you can find on the label.

• The typical household spends about 15% of its income on food, which is the third largest expense following housing and transportation. The good news is that food costs are easy to reduce with a little preplanning.

• I buy store brand products all the time.  It cuts down the cost of my grocery bill every week.  They are much cheaper and, for the most part, just as good as the name brand products.  I purchase store brand paper products, canned food, soft pretzels, chips, etc. on a weekly basis.   Also, I enjoy store brand iced tea mix.  It's just as good as the name brands and much cheaper.  I will buy name brand products if they are on sale, though.  I often shop at ShurSave markets in my area and also Price Rite (part of ShopRite).  They have great sales and good quality products.

• Across America, the sounds of school buses are again filling the crisp morning air. Children run toward the bus stop with backpacks filled with pencil boxes, folders, notebooks, and lunch boxes. School lunch proposes a dilemma for many parents. Should

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment