Browse Blogs in MyCareOne Community
Blog Posts
A Straight Talk on Debt A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit. 5524
CareOne Debt Discussions The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially. 863
Entrepreneurial Money Management Marci talks about the financial issues & concerns business owners’ face when running their own company. 99
Life Balance Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank. 919
Major Life Challenges Blog Series We are taking a closer look at some of the big issues we all can face in our lifetime. Each topic will be featured as a blog series. 1386
My Journey out of Debt Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more. 3124
Savvy Spending Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses. 223
  • CareOne Debt Discussions

Rebalance Your Budget in 2009

• 4 Comments
    So far, I’ve been very successful at tracking my spending habits in 2009! Not that I don’t hate collecting all those little receipts, but I try to record them in my little notebook as so as I get home then shred, shred, shred those receipts. This tracking exercise has really provided a needed wake-up call on how I’m spending my money– especially when it comes to eating out. So far, Dear Hubby and I have spent a grand total of $406 at local restaurants. This is so embarrassing it makes me cringe. It’s not even January 20, and we have 12 days to go to ride out the month. ...
  • A Straight Talk on Debt

What to Expect Month Three on a Debt Management Plan

• 22 Comments

It took time to get into this situation and it will take time to get out. Remember it is about the creditors receiving a payment, not just being “enrolled” in a program. Consistency is a key to success.

Control the Temptation of Post-Holiday Shopping

• 2 Comments
    We’re well into a new year, and like me I’m sure you’re back at work and happily awaiting your first check of 2009. Hopefully you’re sticking to those resolutions to keep your finances strong and your debt DOWN! Now is not the time to succumb to the temptation of those post-holiday shopping promotions – especially if you still have a holiday hangover from overspending! (Actually, there’s a JCrew purse I’m dying to purchase, and I just found out it’s been marked down an extra 20%. But I can’t even afford it at the sale price, so I’m staying strong!) ...
  • Savvy Spending

How to Say Goodbye to Credit Cards

• 4 Comments
    I'm sick and tired of hearing about all the bad economic news. Well, guess what? Max and I have made our 2009 resolution… WE CHOOSE NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BAD ECONOMY! Okay, so how are we going to that? After careful consideration of our financial goals, our financial commitments and our budget, we came up with our game plan. ...

Take Control of Your Finances in 2009

• 0 Comments
    It’s another exciting, fresh start on a New Year! I hope 2009 finds you happy and well. I’m sure you have already made those New Year’s resolutions, but have you already broken any of them? If you have, don’t sweat it. As one of my favorite ladies often said, “Tomorrow is another day!” There is always time to get back on the wagon. ...
  • Life Balance

Your Year to Shine

• 2 Comments
    Stop smoking. Start exercising. Read more. Complain less. Every year, millions of people resolve to kick their bad habits to the curb. Some succeed, while others are back to their old ways by mid-March. It’s not surprising, though, that some people just aren’t able to do it. Old habits die hard, after all. ...

The Holidays would be a Miss Without Beauty Bliss

• 0 Comments
    Yes. I am a girly girl, and after the holiday rush there is nothing I love more than to kick back, put my feet up and be pampered! That’s why I highly recommend a beauty gift for your girl friends or loved ones. So how can you find inexpensive yet glamorous beauty gifts? ...
  • Balancing Family

Some Things You Don't Need Money For: Holiday Traditions

• 2 Comments
    While it is hard to avoid the consumerism that surrounds Christmas, my husband and I have been working to build our own family traditions because we know these are the things that our children will remember about their childhood. And it does not have to cost much money to do something fun as a family. Many of the traditions below cost almost nothing. ...
  • Retired and Loving It

Holiday Blessings

• 1 Comments
    We are getting close to the holidays. A wonderful event that a lot of the churches in our area hold is the Annual Christmas Dinner. Our church will be hosting dinners for almost 200 people and it will be quite a feast. I will bring home a carton of food to prepare for the buffet table that will include a 20 lb turkey and all of the bread to make the stuffing. Other ladies in our church will be making the vegetables, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and dessert. ...
  • Balancing Family

Money Mom's Top New Year's Resolution

• 2 Comments
    It is that time of year for a fresh start. In addition to losing 25 pounds left on me by my third child (I always tell her it is a good thing she is so cute) and lowering my cholesterol, I have some money resolutions I need to make. There is no time like January 1 to take stock of my family’s current financial situation and to make some changes. And I don’t want my resolutions to get thrown to the wayside so I am going to keep them as simple as possible, but it will not be painless. However, the health of my family’s finances depends on smart money planning, and that is an important part of my family’s health. ...
  • Retired and Loving It

How to Save Money on Your Health Insurance - Part 2

• 1 Comments
    Choose the right Supplemental Plan for you and your personal needs. Once Medicare becomes your Primary Insurance Plan, you need to start researching a Supplemental Plan that will cover the items not paid by Medicare. This includes the 20% balance after Medicare pays the provider 80% of the approved amount as well as all of the co-pays. This can be quite confusing as they offer so many Supplemental Plans and in our Retirement Community you can find offers everyday in the newspaper for a free dinner if you just attend one of these Health Provider Seminars. Some of these plans actually replace Medicare and you don’t even have to pay a monthly premium. But you have to assess these programs very carefully. ...

Frugal Holiday Party Beverages from Contest Day #5

• 1 Comments
    Thank you so much for all of the entries throughout this contest! There have been so many amazing ideas that I have never thought of before. Yesterday did not disappoint in the way of creative and cool ideas. Congratulations to www.twitter.com/mommy2ellagrace or jessedepew if you are looking for her comment on my blog. She has a great Starbucks at home idea that is frugal and sounds delicious! It will warm up your guests and definitely be the hit of the party. ...

Frugal Decorating Tips from contest day #4

• 1 Comments
    am simply amazed at the wonderful ideas that have come out of this giveaway! I need to hire some of you to decorate my house. Congratulations to www.twitter.com/KimbaASPTL for her homemade wreaths. These look like something you would buy at a high-end store and the most expensive one only cost $15 to make! See pictures of her wreaths here: http://tinyurl.com/5hpucu. The final topic is HOLIDAY PARTY BEVERAGES. Remember we are all on a budget this Christmas so keep it frugal! (These can be alcoholic or non-alcoholic.) ...
  • Balancing Family

Don't Go Broke Buying Your Kids Holiday Gifts

• 0 Comments
    I remember looking at a toy circular (there are many this time of year) a few years ago and remarking to my husband that kids get more expensive when they get older. IPods, video games systems, cool electronics, it all seemed so far away. I was happy we were still in the cheaper toy section, and my kids were pretty much happy with anything they opened, sometimes preferring the box a toy came in to the actual toy itself. This is no longer the case. Now there is a Nintendo DS on a wish list, an American Girl bed (who knew a bed for a doll costs $78?) and a number of other items circled in the toy circular their grandmother brought over to amuse them one evening. How does a parent keep holiday spending within reason yet still have children enjoy the magic of the season? It is not easy but with some careful planning, toy swapping, going to consignment shops, and internet price comparison it is possible to make it a magical time of year. ...

Contest Day #3 - Holiday Saving's Ideas

• 1 Comments
    I’m so glad to see that everyone is being creative about all the ways to save around the holidays! Congratulations to www.twitter.com/troycorley who listed an impressive amount of ways to save on a product we all need around the holidays – wrapping paper. These are listed as a comment on my blog. Check them out here. Today’s topic: Frugal Decorating Tips ...

Contest Day #2 - Frugal Gift Ideas

• 0 Comments
    Your frugal gift ideas from contest day #2 were awesome! The gifts were creative and impressive! Thanks to everyone who participated. Congratulations to www.twitter.com/mrsfujimori who recommended helping out your college student with a laundry basket filled with cleaning supplies, laundry soap, towels, etc. Small things are even expensive for college students. Today’s topic: Holiday Savings Tips – What do you do around the holidays to save money? ...

Great homemade frugal gift ideas from contest day #1

• 1 Comments
    Wow, we got some great ideas for frugal homemade gifts! Congratulations to www.twitter.com/auntiethesis who recommended creating a recipe book from family recipes with pictures of the dishes – you could also include family photos to make it an heirloom worth passing down. I’ll be sending a $100 Visa Gift card your way....
  • Life Balance

Eat, Drink and be Merry

• 0 Comments
    My next piece of advice to you: Eat lots of nutritious snacks, and also drink plenty of water. Hunger and dehydration, even before you're aware of them, can increase feelings of anxiety and stress, not to mention give you one heck of a headache! When I first realized how far in debt I was, I became so obsessed with figuring out how to get out of it that I started neglecting lots of things, like my diet. I’d eat at random times—and it was mostly junk, like fast food (I mean, who could resist the McDonald’s dollar menu, especially someone in debt?) But it wasn’t long at all before I felt my energy levels declining and my waistline expanding. Soon I started taking a different approach, skipping meals altogether in hopes of dropping those few extra pounds I’d put on. But that left me irritable, impatient, and basically a pretty miserable person to be around. ...

Win $100 with the Debt Diva Giveaway

• 18 Comments
    As part of my Frugal & Festive Holiday Guide, I am happy to announce The Debt Diva Frugal & Festive Holiday Giveaway! I want to hear your thoughts on five frugal and festive topics. You will have a chance to enter and win one of five $100 Visa gift cards! You may enter for a chance to win on: Wednesday, Dec. 3 Thursday, Dec. 4 Friday, Dec. 5 Monday, Dec. 8 Tuesday, Dec. 9 ...
  • A Straight Talk on Debt

What to Expect Month Two of a Debt Management Plan

• 17 Comments

You have now started your second month on the DMP. During the second month there are generally two groups of customers; those who made their first payment in the first month (A) and those who postponed their first payment to the second month (B). There are an additional small number of people who may call and change their payment to the third month and unfortunately usually do not fare well on their Plan. It is about the creditors receiving a payment, not just being “enrolled” in a program.

Debt Diva Giveaway

• 0 Comments
    Now that Black Friday is behind us, the race for the holidays is on! As you dash to secure the perfect presents for your loved ones and provide the tastiest dinner your budget will allow, wouldn’t it be nice to have a little extra spending money? How about a $100 Visa gift card? ...

A New Year - A New Outlook on Spending

• 2 Comments
    My wish for the new year is for us all to reevaluate our spending habits and simplify. After years of spending lots and saving little, consumers are overextended with little in their savings accounts. The New Year's resolution that should be on everyone's lips in 2009 -- spend less, save more. Changing lifestyle habits takea time, thought, and a great deal of effort. Even though I spend most of my days championing the benefits of a frugal lifestyle, I find myself tempted to shell out cash on items I don't need....
  • Savvy Spending

Goodbye Gym Membership

• 2 Comments
    Goodbye gym membership, hello extra cash - hello to freedom!!! Freedom to work out, where and when I want! I've come to my senses and have gotten over the fact that I don't need a "membership" to a gym to get in shape --- especially when I haven't used it in 6 months! I have found myself finding excuse after excuse of why I can't make it to an exercise class, or why I can't get to the gym. This, therefore, justifies why I haven't been exercising. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I have been depriving myself and wasting money! ...

Frugal and Homemade Gift Ideas

• 0 Comments
    I love homemade holiday gifts (especially yummy baked goods)! With a minimal amount of money and a little bit of time, you can create a heartfelt gift that family, friends and neighbors are sure to love. I’ve put together a list of some of my most favorite frugal, homemade holiday gifts! You won’t have to worry about a credit card hangover in the New Year when you give these thoughtful treats. You can start putting these together during the long Thanksgiving weekend!...
  • Savvy Spending

Don't Break Your Holiday Budget on Wrapping

• 0 Comments
    Pretty packages under the tree, don't have to be expensive to be beautiful. It's never too early to start preparing for holiday wrapping. In fact, it's important to think ahead so you don't find yourself running to the store at the last minute because you ran short or forgot to buy the wrapping paper. Not to mention that it's one of those costs that you forget to budget in and you then find yourself going over your gift budget because of the pricey paper! If you plan ahead, you won't have to deal with this issue. Here are some of my low-cost ideas for wrapping this year's gifts. ...
Page 103 of 107 (2,670 items) «101102103104105»