Browse Blogs in MyCareOne Community
Blog Posts
A Straight Talk on Debt A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit. 5524
CareOne Debt Discussions The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially. 863
Entrepreneurial Money Management Marci talks about the financial issues & concerns business owners’ face when running their own company. 99
Life Balance Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank. 919
Major Life Challenges Blog Series We are taking a closer look at some of the big issues we all can face in our lifetime. Each topic will be featured as a blog series. 1386
My Journey out of Debt Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more. 3124
Savvy Spending Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses. 223
  • CareOne Debt Discussions

The Great Debate: a Real vs. an Artificial Tree?

• 0 Comments
    Now that Americans have decided on their new president, they must focus their attention to another pressing choice – Real or Artificial. Trees that is. Christmas trees for the holidays. Both have their benefits, but whichever you choose remember that there are low cost ways to have a beautiful tree that will make your home merry and bright. ...

Save Money by Trading Decorations

• 0 Comments
    I truly love holiday decorations! To me, there’s nothing that makes a home prettier or cozier than lights, wreaths, garland and decorated trees. However, all these accoutrements can be costly. Often we want to update our homes for the holidays with new items, but with the current economy, this is probably not the year to spend excessively on new decorations. What’s a diva to do? How about a switch–er-roo! ...
  • Balancing Family

One Bright Spot in the Economy: Lower Gas Prices

• 0 Comments
    I just bought gas for under $2 a gallon. Last time that happened was 4 years ago! WOW! It felt wonderful and yet I have this urge to pull off the road and buy gas almost every time I drive by a pump as the prices seem to keep falling. I was paying almost $4 a gallon in July and sweating every time I filled up the tank. These lower gas prices may be one of the few bright spots happening in our economy right now. ...

Organize Your Gifts

• 1 Comments
    Now you know that as The Debt Diva, I am a responsible shopper who sticks to her budget, pays cash (most of the time) and pays down her debt (when the occasional credit card purchase happens.) But even I am not immune to the odd little impulse purchase when I see something that’s perfect for a friend, family member or Dear Hubby! I take that present home and stash it away for a birthday or a holiday!...

Don't Bust Your Budget on Holiday Cards

• 4 Comments
    Each day in December, Dear Hubby and I excitedly bundle up in our coats and boots and race to the mailbox to see who can get there first. (For some reason, checking the mail is a big highlight in our day!) We slowly open the little door and look inside for colorful envelopes and decorative stamps. I’ll admit it. We’re obsessed with holiday cards. ...
  • Life Balance

Five Ways to Deal With Holiday Stress

• 1 Comments
    I remember the first holiday season after my husband and I truly faced the fact that we were deep in debt. Every newspaper I opened, website I went on, or channel I flipped to had another ad for a sweater, game system, or electronic gadget that (according to the ad), my mother, brother, uncle, neighbor, or daughter’s teacher’s 4th cousin just HAD to have. There seemed to be such an urgency in these advertisements, and a little voice kept nagging at me to buy, buy, buy! But I had to face the music and accept that things were going to be different this year. This year, the space under the tree wasn’t going to be overloaded with gifts for friends and family. I was going to have to take a different approach to gifts, offering my time (through babysitting, a home-cooked meal, and more) rather than stacks of gift-wrapped boxes. It was a really stressful period, and I constantly worried about being judged on my actions or even being labeled as cheap. My close friends and family knew about our situation, but I still worried about what they thought. It was extremely hard at first, but as the holiday season progressed, I found some ways to cope with the stress of it all. Here’s what I suggest for you: ...

Decorating with the Debt Diva Will Add Sparkle to Your Home and Keep Money in the Bank

• 0 Comments
    Who doesn’t love a cozy home festively decorated for the holidays! This Diva loves lights, sparkle, garland, and the warm glow of candles. (Who doesn’t look prettier in candlelight!?) If you’re like my Mother, you may want to decorate every inch of your house, leaving no corner unembellished! Or you might enjoy the simplicity of a few lights. Either way, it’s important to stick to your budget this season. If you want to spruce up your home for holidays, I’ve got some great, penny-wise tips to help you achieve a cheery atmosphere. ...

'Tis the Season for Sweet and Salty Treats

• 0 Comments
    This time of year, I find it hard to resist yummy seasonal treats and mugs of tasty spiced cider. I wholeheartedly admit that when holiday treats arrive at the office or at home, I’m usually the one tearing off the wrapping and sampling all the goodies. This is a delicious time of year! Oh how I loved the smell of soft, warm brownies coming out of the oven on a cold winter day. And what girl doesn’t love chocolate?! ...

Holiday Door Decorations on a Dime

• 1 Comments
    As many of us cut back on our spending this season, holiday decorations will be the first items omitted from our spending list. These festive touches create an inviting holiday atmosphere at our home, and they don’t have cost big bucks. With a little time and effort, you can adorn your home with holiday baubles and trimmings that fit your budget and are sure to get you in the spirit! This season I’m going to feature many great, frugal and festive decorating ideas in my blog! What area of the home should I start with? How about the very first thing you see when you approach your house – your front door! ...
  • A Straight Talk on Debt

What to Expect Month One on a Debt Management Plan

• 152 Comments

An old cliché is the longest journey starts with the first step. This is true when you enroll in a debt management plan as well the first month is probably one of the most important times during your entire Plan. This is especially true if you are behind with your accounts, or are about to be.

Diva and the City

• 0 Comments
    I took a bite of the BIG APPLE last week during a three day visit that included an appearance on the CW 11 to promote my holiday guide! It was very exciting, and I had my photo taken with the New Jersey Nets Cheerleaders. I think Dear Hubby has it featured as his new screen saver. ...

Shipping the Holidays to a Soldier

• 0 Comments
    Honey, I’ve always found a man in uniform hard to resist! The holidays are the perfect time to show the men and women serving in our armed forces how much they’re appreciated! Though many of us are planning for a frugal and festive holiday season, don’t forget to send a thoughtful greeting or small gift to those people who are sacrificing their time with their families to serve our country. And unlike that last minute present you can pick up at the drugstore for your aunt or uncle, gifts for our soldiers must be sent ahead of time. ...
  • Savvy Spending

Let's Talk Turkey

• 1 Comments
    Mmmmmm, the smell of turkey roasting with all the fixings, followed by the sweet aroma of apples, cinnamon and pumpkin delights. All this yummy, delicious food that is customary in the American tradition comes with a price. It doesn't just happen -- especially when you are the one hosting the feast -- which could be stressful, unless you take the time and shop wisely. ...

Should You Ship or Schlep Your Holiday Gifts?

• 0 Comments
    If you’re going to be jet-setting this holiday season to visit family in another state, you may be in for a shocking surprise when you check in at the airport! Your dream vacation could turn into a nightmare if you’re not prepared for the many additional fees airlines are adding to passenger costs! Plan ahead so your pocketbook is not caught by surprise. You may have already have purchased your flight to get the best rates. But check out the extra bag fees below for several popular airlines and compare them to shipping rates at USPS, FedEx and UPS. Then you can decide whether to ship or schlep your packages for the holidays....

Avoid the Holiday Wallet Hangover

• 3 Comments
    AARRRRGGHHH! I was taking my weekly cruise through a whole sale retailer to pick up a few household necessities, when I was overtaken by mistletoe, Christmas trees and holiday inflatable yard decorations. It’s October and the jack o’ lanterns are old news, sitting at the back of the store. What’s worse is Thanksgiving is still weeks away, and it has already been bypassed. There wasn’t a pilgrim in sight! ...

Keep Your Shipping Costs Low This Holiday Season

• 1 Comments

If you are like me, not all of your family and friends live in the same town. After living in Maryland for five years, Dear Hubby, a Baltimore native, and I moved back near my hometown in North Carolina. With family and friends spread up and down the east coast, we are faced with the challenge of ensuring our holiday gifts arrive on time even if we aren’t able to hand deliver them ourselves. Now is the time to think about all the options for shipping costs and deadlines. You want to make sure your gifts arrive before Christmas without straining your bank account to cover last minute expenses.

• Life Balance

Debt Getting You Down? Compliment 3 People a Day

• 5 Comments
    Here’s another thing that helped me immensely when I was in debt. I began making it a point to start complimenting at least three people a day. Maybe it was commenting on my friend’s chic new haircut. Or praising my husband on his stellar job cleaning out the garage. Or letting the man behind the deli counter know how helpful he had just been to me....
  • Retired and Loving It

How to Save Money on Health Insurance - Part 1

• 0 Comments
    When it comes to interpreting Health Insurance Policies, you can get very confused and not really understand the benefits and limitations until you actually incur a medical problem and need to use the insurance. By being pro-active and learning a few things, you can save money within the Plan. Here are some tips that my help:...
  • Balancing Family

Trying to Save Money? Don't Write Off Books and Movies.

• 4 Comments
    I love books and movies. Before I had kids I bought all of the books I wanted to read and even saw movies in the movie theatre. Not any more. I used to have a Barnes and Noble discount card and ordered the books on-line with free shipping. Not any more. I used to have a subscription to Netflix and the movies would sit and sit in my house hoping that I would be able to watch them. Not any more. I can’t believe I paid $25 for the right to have 10% off for a year at Barnes and Noble. When you do the math that means I have to spend at least $250 a year before the discount actually works. I would order books on-line, spending up to get the free shipping. My Netflix cost was $15 a month, and with my crazy life I rarely watched the movies I ordered. I have canceled both services and I am going to save AT LEAST $500 this year. ...

The Economic Outlook Maybe Bleak, but A Happy Holiday Is Just Around the Corner…

• 0 Comments
    While there is enough bad news in the economy to make us blue, it’s important to realize that while our budgets are tighter we can still have a merry and bright holiday season. Now that autumn is officially here, we must start planning now! For many of us, as soon as we start thinking about the holidays, we’re immediately overwhelmed. It’s a season of snowball spending that grows and grows if we don’t avoid temptation from getting caught up in a spending frenzy....
  • Savvy Spending

Coupon Clippers Beware!

• 3 Comments
    My name is Savvy Spender, and I am a coupon clipper. In fact, I have always been a coupon clipper. Whether it is a coupon for frozen corn or $5 off a haircut. I've sometimes clipped coupons for things that I never had any intention of buying. I've purchased little "coupon organizers" so that my coupons are handy whenever I'm in the store. I am also one of those that finally remembers that I have a coupon for something, then I get all the way to the checkout -- only to find out that my coupon expired, or I was supposed to buy two and get the third one for $1 off. Guess what --- by that time, I end up just paying the full price for it and tell myself that the "next time" I buy this, I'll remember to use the coupon!!!!! Who out there can't relate???? ...
  • A Straight Talk on Debt

Top Dumb Money Moves

• 2 Comments

People do it all the time, including me. Dumb money moves occur on a daily basis. Some people learn from them, yet some people don’t learn from them at all and continually repeat the errors. The majority of these tend to occur when someone starts their first job right out of college. We can blame it on the educational system or the media, or marketers, or the banks…the list goes on and on.

• Life Balance

Stressed About Debt? Write it Down

• 5 Comments
    There’s something else that helped me immensely when I was digging myself out of debt: keeping a journal. Sure, my husband was a great support system, but let’s face it: he was dealing with plenty of his own emotions. And so I felt that it was unfair to unload all of mine on him. So one day, while I was running errands with my daughter, I stopped by the dollar store and found an entire bin of little notebooks, all with different designs on the cover. I picked one out that had a beach scene on the front because just looking at it made me feel calm and tranquil. And the best part about it was that it was only a dollar. Just one buck!...
  • Savvy Spending

Don't Ba Hum Bug Your Holiday Shopping Just Yet!

• 1 Comments
    Okay, call me crazy, but if a savvy spender doesn't start thinking about holiday shopping early enough -- like now, she's gonna be one big Srooge by December! It's true that you can find some great sales close to the holidays -- but when you are crunched for time, you will wind up spending more money than you need to, just to get the job done. So don't wait, don't hesitate -- ready-set-GO! ...

Nightmare on Wall Street... How Does it Affect You?

• 2 Comments
    Many of us would rather spend an evening with Freddie Kruger in a dark alley than open our latest 401K statement. The financial fiasco facing the US economy has all of us shaking in our boots wondering just how much stress our bank accounts can take. With all the banking and economic industry jargon being thrown around in the media coverage, sometimes it’s hard to understand exactly what the heck is going on. ...
Page 104 of 107 (2,670 items) «102103104105106»