Browse Blogs in MyCareOne Community
Blog Posts
A Straight Talk on Debt A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit. 5731
CareOne Debt Discussions The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially. 890
Entrepreneurial Money Management Marci talks about the financial issues & concerns business owners’ face when running their own company. 103
Life Balance Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank. 940
Major Life Challenges Blog Series We are taking a closer look at some of the big issues we all can face in our lifetime. Each topic will be featured as a blog series. 1393
My Journey out of Debt Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more. 3141
Savvy Spending Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses. 227
  • Single and Settling In

Single Seeking New Life

• 0 Comments

After big life changes like an international move...and a lower salary for the few months I was consulting, I had to find ways to spend responsibly.

• Retired and Loving It

Lower Your LDL, Get Off That Medication

• 0 Comments

Most of us retirees have to go for blood tests every six months, especially if we are on blood pressure or cholesterol lowering drugs. As most of you know, these medications have terrible side affects. My husband suffered from muscle spasms and pains so painful he had to stop his medication. His doctor tried other medications with no relief. Finally, he suggested changing his diet; success he was able to stop the medications because he lowered his LDL through diet. Not only was he much healthier, we were able to save money on prescriptions and avoid the side affects. Here's what worked for him and may even work for you!

• Balancing Family

Trying to Save Money? Don't Write Off Books and Movies.

• 4 Comments
    I love books and movies. Before I had kids I bought all of the books I wanted to read and even saw movies in the movie theatre. Not any more. I used to have a Barnes and Noble discount card and ordered the books on-line with free shipping. Not any more. I used to have a subscription to Netflix and the movies would sit and sit in my house hoping that I would be able to watch them. Not any more. I can’t believe I paid $25 for the right to have 10% off for a year at Barnes and Noble. When you do the math that means I have to spend at least $250 a year before the discount actually works. I would order books on-line, spending up to get the free shipping. My Netflix cost was $15 a month, and with my crazy life I rarely watched the movies I ordered. I have canceled both services and I am going to save AT LEAST $500 this year. ...
  • Single and Settling In

Enjoying the Fruits of Summer....Literally!

• 0 Comments

Best thing about summer?  Eating light.  No one wants to eat when it's hot out.Best thing about summer?  Eating light.  No one wants to eat when it's hot out.

• Single and Settling In

Don't Twist My ARM!

• 0 Comments

Round one of re-financing took place over the last few days.  I can already tell you, this isn't going to be a whole lot of fun. 

• Life Balance

Lose Weight and Build Confidence

• 0 Comments

How many times have you resolved to embark on a strict weight-loss plan, but lost all your steam just a few months (or even weeks!) later? Let's face it: Going off your diet can be a real confidence-buster.

• In College and Starting Out

Avoid Credit Cards During The Holidays!

• 0 Comments

Holidays are an expensive time of year and a very stressful time for college students, because let's face it, they're notorious for not having a lot of money.  There are ways for college students to save for the holidays, such as taking advantage of sales and saving money, but there is something they should avoid - credit cards. 

• In College and Starting Out

Transferring Colleges

• 0 Comments

When I decided to go to college, I made the choice of starting at a community college for the first two years. There are many reasons people transfer colleges.  In most cases, students are transferring to a four year school upon completion of community college.

• Balancing Family

Keeping Cool with the Grill

• 1 Comments

It is HOT where I live right now.  Hazy, hot and humid.  We all try to find ways to stay cool and during these hot summer days the last thing I want to do is turn on the oven.  I don't have central air-conditioning so when my oven is on the kitchen gets even hotter!  In addition to using the crock pot, grilling is a great summer time way to make up great, tasty and inexpensive food for the whole family.

• Settling Into Blended Finances

Can't Buy Me Love

• 0 Comments

Armed with a few years (ok more than a few but who is counting?) under my belt and a little financial savvy I hope to create a comfortable, affordable, loving home with my new husband and children. I am at a different place in my life, my priorities have changed, and I realized I can be happy with much less. By understanding the three C's of financial contentment, you can live large - regardless of the size of your budget.

• Balancing Family

Back to School Shopping

• 0 Comments
    I just came back from shopping at a big box store and I am in shock. It is early July, school has only been over for three weeks with seven weeks to go before it begins again and yet the “Back to School” displays are already up! The “Back to School” shopping season seems to get bigger and lasts longer every year. And the stores want us to spend lots of money, so how do you get through it? Here are some ways I save money as the start of school approaches. ...
  • Balancing Family

Helping Kids Start a Business

• 0 Comments

Thinking Outside the Box to Earn Some Cash. This blog will explore ways to help kids earn and manage their own money. 

• Balancing Family

Allowance for Kids: Life Lessons

• 0 Comments

Should kids have an allowance?  If so, then how much?  Should they have to earn it by doing chores, or should it be something they get automatically each week? I struggle with these questions myself.

• Balancing Family

Modern Day Treasure Hunting: Yard Sale or Craigslist?

• 1 Comments

Deals can be found at both yard sales on the on-line version, Craigslist, but which one is right for you?  It all depends!  I have been going to yard sales for many years so to do anything else is hard, but I have found some good deals on Craigslist that saved me time as well as money.  Read on to find out the pros and cons of the best bargain shopping options of modern times.

• Single and Settling In

Vacation With the Girls!

• 0 Comments

The one thing that I desperately needed before I got back into the big, bad world of dating: a trip with my ladies!   

• Balancing Family

Read the Fine Print

• 0 Comments

As many of you may know there are lots of changes going on in the credit card industry. If you have credit cards, even without a balance, and you receive a letter, make sure you open it and read the fine print!  Credit card companies are raising interest rates and charging  annual membership fees.

• Retired and Loving It

Know how to prevent diabetes

• 0 Comments

November is American Diabetes Month and this is one disease you can take steps to prevent. Diabetes can rob you of your health, pre-dispose you to other health complications, and hit your wallet. Diabetes medication and supplies are not cheap; insulin, lancets, testing kits, glucose testing strips, are all costly.

• Balancing Family

Need new clothes? Consider a clothing exchange!

• 1 Comments

The weather is cooler now and I love wearing my "new" short black trench coat from the Gap. Even better, I love the price tag.  Free!  How was it free?  I finally went to my first clothing exchange and I can't wait for the next one.

• Retired and Loving It

Financial Security-Part Three

• 0 Comments

When thinking about financial success, especially if you are younger than the retirees that live in our community, it is wise to follow some sound financial principles.

• Balancing Family

Don't Go Broke Buying Your Kids Holiday Gifts

• 0 Comments
    I remember looking at a toy circular (there are many this time of year) a few years ago and remarking to my husband that kids get more expensive when they get older. IPods, video games systems, cool electronics, it all seemed so far away. I was happy we were still in the cheaper toy section, and my kids were pretty much happy with anything they opened, sometimes preferring the box a toy came in to the actual toy itself. This is no longer the case. Now there is a Nintendo DS on a wish list, an American Girl bed (who knew a bed for a doll costs $78?) and a number of other items circled in the toy circular their grandmother brought over to amuse them one evening. How does a parent keep holiday spending within reason yet still have children enjoy the magic of the season? It is not easy but with some careful planning, toy swapping, going to consignment shops, and internet price comparison it is possible to make it a magical time of year. ...
  • Balancing Family

The Importance of Early Intervention

• 0 Comments

My youngest daughter Colleen was diagnosed with Down syndrome a few days after her birth.  After consulting with her doctors, the next thing I did was call the Early Intervention program in my state.  That is one of the best phone calls I made.  This blog will explore ways to find services for a young child who has a developmental delay.

• Balancing Family

Keeping the Focus on Meaning for Upcoming Holidays

• 1 Comments

It is only September and the holiday catalogues are already arriving in the mail.  It seems like each year the stores start the shopping season for major holidays earlier and earlier.  What is a parent to do?  Here are some ways to avoid the early rush and keep the focus on what you feel is important. 

• Balancing Family

Eating Out on a Budget

• 3 Comments

If you are like me, and millions of other Americans, then you probably like to eat out at restaurants.  However, this can be a huge money drain on any family budget.  Here are some tips for saving money, while still enjoying the occasional outing to a favorite, or perhaps "new to you" restaurant.

• Balancing Family

How I Became the Money Mom

• 1 Comments
    “Mommy, can I buy the Raven football, pleassssse,” pleaded my oldest as we tried to extract ourselves from the toy and sporting department of our local big box store. My middle child chimed in, “But I want a new Pet Shop too badly.” I had to take all three children shopping with me today as my husband had to bring home work over the weekend, and I explained ahead of time that we could look briefly at these beloved departments but no purchases. It is hard to say “No” to a begging child, but one way I have learned to save money in order to make ends meet on mostly one income is to avoid buying new items, especially from a child who is pleading, begging, having a tantrum, etc....
  • Balancing Family

Summer Lessons

• 0 Comments

I was lucky. When I was a child my father had the summers at home because he was a teacher.He took some classes, taught drivers education, maybe did a year or two of summer school, but for the most part I had both parents at home to take care of myself and my three sisters. I want my kids to have similar memories and while I am teacher by training, my husband is not. In fact, he is the busiest in his work in the summer time, so keeping my kids busy, happy and thriving is really up to me. At the same time, since I gave up my full time teaching job when my oldest was born, I have to watch every penny. I learned some lessons this summer and hopefully you can learn from some of my successes and lessons.

Page 105 of 107 (2,670 items) «103104105106107