Browse Blogs in MyCareOne Community
Blog Posts
A Straight Talk on Debt A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit. 5732
CareOne Debt Discussions The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially. 890
Entrepreneurial Money Management Marci talks about the financial issues & concerns business owners’ face when running their own company. 103
Life Balance Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank. 940
Major Life Challenges Blog Series We are taking a closer look at some of the big issues we all can face in our lifetime. Each topic will be featured as a blog series. 1393
My Journey out of Debt Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more. 3141
Savvy Spending Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses. 227
  • Balancing Family

8 Stress Busters for Busy Parents

• 0 Comments

Stress is a part of life.  Some of it is good, as it makes us perform better.  Nothing like a rush of adrenaline to make anyone more focused and alert.  But too much stress is problematic.  And being in debt certainly adds stress to life.  This blog will explore some strategies for coping with stress.

• Balancing Family

Saving Energy at Home- Low Cost Ideas

• 0 Comments

It suddenly became cold where I live, which means the heat is being turned on, the down comforter is coming out, and I am hunting for winter clothes for the kids who have enjoyed wearing their shorts for several months.  With energy costs on the rise I have some suggestions for low cost ways to save energy this winter.

• Balancing Family

How to Get Bargains at Yard Sales

• 3 Comments
    “Mom, pull over, this looks like a good one!” yelled my son from the backseat. We were out on a Saturday morning, driving in our neighborhood looking for good yard sales. I first started going to yard sales when I was setting up my first apartment as a young adult. I found dishes, glasses, silverware, furniture, pots and pans, and even a few wall hangings. As a new teacher, I hunted for used books for my classroom library, as well as games for indoor recess. Then I had enough “stuff” and I stopped going to yard sales. That changed once I had children and no second income. I have found most of my kids’ plastic toys at yard sales. ...
  • Balancing Family

Kids Eat Free, or Close to It!

• 0 Comments

My family went out to dinner last Sunday night.

• Balancing Family

Saving Money when Traveling with Kids: Food

• 0 Comments
    I knew I had made a mistake when I saw the prices at a fast food restaurant on the New Jersey Turnpike. Meals were in the $8-9 range, kid meals over $4. I gulped. We had just set out on the first leg of a two day drive for a family reunion and it had been so hectic getting ready I decided we would eat on the road. First mistake. Then there was construction around a different and cheaper fast food restaurant we had stopped at before (that is usually easy on, easy off the highway) that made me keep driving. Second mistake! Once you are stuck on a toll road you either need to have your own food or pay outrageous prices for mediocre food at best. We managed to not blow our budget by ordering just small sandwiches for my husband and myself plus ice...
  • Balancing Family

Mind Over Matter: Will Power Counts for any Goal

• 0 Comments

Getting out of debt is like losing the baby weight: It takes will power and a plan!

• Balancing Family

Finding Support within Communities: You Never Know Until You Try

• 1 Comments

The CareOne Community is a great place to get support while you work on getting out of debt.  There are lots of great reasons to become a part of groups during your adult life.  You never know until you try!

• Balancing Family

Summer Loving, Planning for Fun: Making a Summer Fun List

• 3 Comments

I love the anticipation of summer.  I know there is a lot to juggle, especially for parents of young children, who are balancing careers when school ends and summer vacation begins. 

• Balancing Family

Teaching Kids About Money with an Allowance

• 2 Comments
    I am hearing less of “Mommy, can I buy that?” when I take my kids shopping. A few months ago I almost made a T-shirt just for shopping that had “NO” written on the front and back. Instead of sounding like a broken record, saying “No” for the thousandth time and feeling like the meanest Mommy alive, I started giving my older two children an allowance. I am not saying, “NO,” very often, instead I say, “Sure, you can use your own money.” Then we discuss how much it costs, if it seems like a good deal, and how much they REALLY want it. Almost all the time they decide against the purchase, preferring to keep their money for something else. If they decide to buy it, they pay me when we return home and the item usually gets more use. And, if it is a dud, they learn an important life lesson. WOW! I wish I had started this a long time ago. Kids will spend unlimited amounts of money as long as it is yours! ...
  • Balancing Family

Cash in Hand: What to do With Your Tax Refund This Year!

• 1 Comments

Tax time is here, and for me and many other Americans this is one of the only times during the year when I have a decent amount of cash on hand.  It would be fun to go on a shopping spree or a dream vacation.  However, those would not be good financial decisions, especially when I have credit card debt and squeaky brakes.  This blog will explore some things to consider when you receive your tax refund this year. 

• Balancing Family

Halloween Costumes and Fun Ideas on a Budget

• 0 Comments

Halloween is just around the corner and like most holidays these days it can get expensive.  However, you do not have to spend a lot of money to have a spooktacular time!

• Balancing Family

Traveling with Kids: How to Not Break the Bank

• 1 Comments

It seems that whenever I am traveling, money leaves my wallet faster than anyone can say, "Are we there yet?"  There are many more things to spend money on when traveling.  However, with careful planning, establishing some limits for kids, and carrying your own food, you can travel without going into debt. 

• Balancing Family

Earth Day Celebrations: Teaching Kids the Three R's: Recycle, Reduce, Reuse

• 0 Comments

What does Earth Day have to do with saving money and reducing debt? Read on to find out!

• Balancing Family

Best Time to Buy: Getting the Best January Deals

• 2 Comments

While many people are paying off their holiday bills, January and February are actually great months to get some great deals.  But, make sure you can afford them, and pay with cash! 

• Balancing Family

Health insurance: Open Enrollment season

• 0 Comments

Many companies have their yearly open enrollment over the next few months. This blog explores how people with employee based health insurance can save money in the year ahead.

• Balancing Family

Simplify to Save: Chores, Car Repairs, and Shopping!

• 0 Comments

I spend more money when I am unorganized and life is complicated.  I end up paying more just to make things easier.  By making a plan, staying on top of it, and simplifying daily tasks you can save money in the long run.  

• Balancing Family

Lessons for the Common People: The Rich and Famous in Debt

• 0 Comments

The latest scandal involving the Royal family of Britain puts the spotlight of personal debt in the headlines.  Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York and ex-wife of Prince Andrew, has been accused of attempting to sell access to her former husband (who works to increase business and trade for England) for $723,000.   It turns out she's in debt.  There are lessons we can all learn from this highly publicized "lapse of judgment." 

• Balancing Family

Planning for the Future: Do you have a Will?

• 2 Comments

Having a Will is important.  Even if you are single and feel you don't own much, having a Will allows you the opportunity to make your wishes known.

• Balancing Family

Saving Money on Dinner: Cooking Co-op

• 0 Comments

Wondering what to make for dinner?  Join or create a cooking co-op and let others decide for you; with the added bonus of saving money and time!

• Balancing Family

Flexible Savings Account: Use it or Lose it

• 0 Comments

As the 2009 year draws to a close, make sure you use all of the money you may have in a Flexible Savings Account, otherwise it is gone.  And you can use it for more than co-pays and prescription drugs, including many items often used by children.

• Balancing Family

How to Get Kids to Save Energy

• 1 Comments

Sometimes I feel like a nag, always telling the kids to turn off the lights, close the back door, wear appropriate clothing for the weather, telling them they are throwing money down the drain. 

• Balancing Family

Public Parks: Make the Most of Resources Close to Home

• 0 Comments

It is a beautiful day today where I live. If I had a convertible I would put the top down!  These are the kinds of days that make me want to go outside with my kids.  It used to be easier, as any playground was always a hit. But now that they are older (at least my two oldest), they want to go farther, do things that cost more money, and are ready for more adventure.

• Balancing Family

Positives of New Credit Card Statements

• 3 Comments

If you have opened a credit card statement this month it looks different!  New laws have been enacted recently to help consumers and the credit card statements have two major changes on them that can shock you.  And, if you pay bills on-line, you may have to look a bit harder to find this information, but it is worth looking for each month.

• Balancing Family

Life Insurance-Does your Family Need it?

• 1 Comments

Life insurance is one of the most important financial decisions you can make; it is also very confusing.  After I had my first child I realized I needed to buy life insurance.  It was no longer just about me. My husband and I researched a few options, almost bought one type and in the end decided to buy term life insurance.  I sleep better at night knowing that we will be okay financially, if one of us (or both) die too young.  In this blog I will share my story and provide you with some resources to get started.

• Balancing Family

Too Many Toys!

• 0 Comments

After the holidays I find myself tripping over toys!  My kids are fortunate, and they really do not know how lucky they are!  In addition to Santa bringing a few gifts, their grandparents and three aunts/uncles also give them Christmas presents.  So after Christmas I find our house overrun with toys, and I need to do something!  Here are some ideas for the toy overload.

Page 106 of 107 (2,670 items) «103104105106107