Browse Blogs in MyCareOne Community
Blog Posts
A Straight Talk on Debt A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit. 5524
CareOne Debt Discussions The employees of CareOne Services, Inc. understand debt, many have experienced their own personal debt challenges. Learn more about why the employees of CareOne understand what it is like to struggle financially. 863
Entrepreneurial Money Management Marci talks about the financial issues & concerns business owners’ face when running their own company. 99
Life Balance Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank. 919
Major Life Challenges Blog Series We are taking a closer look at some of the big issues we all can face in our lifetime. Each topic will be featured as a blog series. 1386
My Journey out of Debt Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more. 3124
Savvy Spending Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses. 223
  • Balancing Family

Holiday Gift Ideas on a Budget

• 1 Comments

When holiday shopping on a budget, it is important to make every dollar count. In addition to reducing the number of gifts you exchange, these are some ideas for finding the perfect holiday gift.

• Balancing Family

Layaway Plans for Holiday Shopping

• 2 Comments

Over the year's layaway programs disappeared as credit cards became more common place.  Our society became a "buy now, pay later" as credit cards became easier to acquire, but unfortunately many people fell into debt including members of my own family.  It is so much easier to just swipe the plastic and bring the desired item home, than it is to schedule payments and wait.

• Balancing Family

Money Mom Gives Thanks

• 2 Comments

Thanksgiving has always been one of my very favorite holidays.  No gifts to buy, time with family, awesome desserts, and football on TV.  And it is also a time for me to stop and reflect on the blessings in my life.  No wonder it is a favorite!   

• Balancing Family

One Bright Spot in the Economy: Lower Gas Prices

• 0 Comments
    I just bought gas for under $2 a gallon. Last time that happened was 4 years ago! WOW! It felt wonderful and yet I have this urge to pull off the road and buy gas almost every time I drive by a pump as the prices seem to keep falling. I was paying almost $4 a gallon in July and sweating every time I filled up the tank. These lower gas prices may be one of the few bright spots happening in our economy right now. ...
  • Balancing Family

This year we are not eating chicken fingers.... Breaking out of the dinner time rut.

• 2 Comments

I find I reach for the bag of chicken nuggets way too many times each week.  If you are like me, and you need ideas to get out of the dinner time rut, read on for ideas I hope to try in the months ahead.

• Balancing Family

Bad Gifts: What do you do?

• 0 Comments

It is hard to know what to do with gifts you do not need, do not like, or simply cannot use.  I will present some options for dealing with "bad" gifts and how to help kids deal with them, too.

• Balancing Family

Making Memories Last by Attending Summer Cultural Arts

• 1 Comments

You don't have to spend a lot of money to make memories for your family.  The summer is a great time to check out the local arts scene, from museums and concerts, to amateur theater productions.  Many events are free or very inexpensive.  You and your kids will be glad you did!

• Balancing Family

Eating Locally Grown Food: Good for You, Good for your Community

• 1 Comments

Farmers markets are great places to find nutritious, ripe, and local produce.  They are also a great way to support your local farmers and reduce energy consumption.  This blog explores why eating locally grown foods, such as those found at area farmer markets, are good for you and your community.  And they help you save money, too!

• Balancing Family

Cook Healthy Meals at Home

• 0 Comments

One of the most important things to focus on when you are stressed is eating well. Stress makes it more difficult for your body to absorb key vitamins and nutrients. So if you are not paying attention to your nutrition, your health is going to suffer. I learned this the hard way. I was always feeling run down and every time I turned around I had a cold. Eating well was not a priority for me when I was working my way out of debt. In my mind, I had bigger things to worry about.

• Balancing Family

Planning Summer Vacations: Consider camping!

• 1 Comments

While vacation homes run thousands of dollars for a one week stay, campsites cost about $20 a night and include a view of a lake, mountain, or even an ocean.  Camping is one of my kids' favorite activities every summer.  I have never met a kid who didn't like to camp!  Camping is not a simple vacation, and  requires some planning.  In this blog I will explore some pros and cons to a summer camping vacation, as well as, some on-line resources.

• Balancing Family

Thanksgiving Celebrations

• 0 Comments

The Thanksgiving holiday is a harvest festival and true American holiday that focuses on family and being thankful.  Hard to argue with that!  But bringing young children to a fancy dinner can be stressful, and for the one preparing the feast it can get expensive.  Here are some ideas to make it a success.

• Balancing Family

Shopping for gifts for children on a budget

• 0 Comments

Shopping for my kids was easier when they were younger and happy with empty boxes.  Now that they are older and have specific requests of Santa, it is much harder.  These are some ideas for keeping the expenses down when shopping for kids.

• Balancing Family

You Don't Need a Maid or a Lawn Service

• 0 Comments

It is nice to come home to a clean house and a manicured lawn.  But, if you are spending money each month on a cleaning or lawn service, this is one area you can cut out of your spending column, and use it to pay off your debt.  Cleaning your house and mowing the lawn are never easy tasks to complete, but with some careful planning and family involvement, it can be done! And you will have more money in the bank.

• Balancing Family

7 Tips for Building Family Traditions

• 0 Comments

The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can make anyone's head spin.  But it is important to slow down and take time to build memories as a family.  Here are seven tips for building traditions within your own family.

• Balancing Family

Summer Vacation: Camps and Activities for Kids

• 1 Comments

With summer quickly approaching, perhaps you are focused on planning your summer vacation.  But it is also time to think about summer camps and activities for your kids.  I am going to share some of my successes and failures of recent years, for finding the right camps or programs for all different types of kids. 

• Balancing Family

Special Edition: Raising a Child with Special Needs

• 0 Comments

The day my youngest daughter was born changed my life forever. 

• Balancing Family

A Puppy under the Tree: Consider the costs

• 0 Comments

Sometimes children ask for a pet as a holiday present.  But before you bring a pet into your home, make sure you are ready.  Pets cost more than just their food!  Here are some things to consider before adopting a pet this holiday season.

• Balancing Family

Inexpensive Gifts for Teachers

• 0 Comments

Teacher gifts are a nice way to say "Thanks" to those adults who work with our children, but they do not have to be expensive or time consuming.  Here are some ideas for things to do to for the teachers in our lives.

• Balancing Family

H1N1 and Kids

• 0 Comments

As more children and adults become infected with the H1N1 virus, it is important to stay informed, practice good hygiene, and get vaccinated. 

• Balancing Family

Health Insurance Savings: Part Two

• 0 Comments

Facing unemployment, rising health insurance premiums, or having a child move off of your health insurance plan?  The blog explores ways to save money if you do not have employee based health insurance, or if you want to try to find a plan with a lower premium.

Page 107 of 107 (2,670 items) «103104105106107