Go Green and Save Money

Life Balance

Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank.

Go Green and Save Money

• Comments 2

When I was in debt, two things I strived for were to save money and feel good about myself.

When I was able to achieve both in a single action, I felt immensely proud!

So, as I made small changes to my lifestyle and started "going green", I was ecstatic! I was being good to the environment and keeping extra money in my pocket.

I didn't start going green all at once. But little by little, my husband and I began to make positive changes in different areas of our lives.  Why not try a few of these tips yourself?

At Home

Buy it used. Before making a purchase, ask friends or relatives if they're looking to get rid of the item you're looking for. Check out garage sales, thrift shops, or look on websites where used items are sold. By going this route, you'll be helping a product live longer, and therefore reducing its impact on the environment. And you'll be saving money!

Unplug appliances when you're not using them. When your hairdryer is plugged into the wall, it uses energy; even if it's not turned on. So be sure to unplug appliances after every use. You will be benefiting the earth and you will see the difference on your electric bill, too.

Add extra layers. When you're feeling chilly, your first instinct is to turn up the heat. Instead of reaching for the thermostat, head for your pile of sweaters and slip one on. You'll be surprised at how an extra layer can warm you right up. Even better, the temperature in your house will stay just where it is; a bonus for both your heating bill and the environment.

On the Road

Ride your bike or take a stroll. Leave the car at home and head to your destination a different way. You'll save on gas, reduce your carbon footprint, and burn plenty of calories too.

Join a carpool. Obviously, there are situations in which walking or biking isn't a feasible option. That's where carpooling comes in. In addition to reducing the time you spend driving, you'll also cut down on gas expenses and wear and tear on your car. Remember, carpooling isn't just for work or school; it's an environmental-friendly choice for weddings and sporting events, too.   

I only mentioned a few ways to go green and save green.  But there are hundreds, maybe thousands more. It's all a matter of keeping an open mind and realizing that green living doesn't have to be difficult, time-consuming, or expensive. In fact, it can be exactly the opposite. So go ahead, give it a try. You'll get more back than you ever could have imagined!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I'd also add to join a local CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, for supporting local farmers and eating organic/local produce that hasn't traveled from all over the country to get to you only less nutritious than when freshly picked! And it saves you $$!

Most importantly, it lowers Green House Gas Emissions due to less transportation to get our food!  

And when you eat more veggies it's certainly better on the Environment than eating meat - b/c animal farming/agriculture is the largest producer of Green House Gas Emissions!

• I want to share five ways that save me a few dollars each month because they add up quickly, and every little bit helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)