Making Your Dreams Come True with Vision Boards

Life Balance

Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank.

Making Your Dreams Come True with Vision Boards

Rate This
  • Comments 9

Making Your Dreams Come True with Vision BoardsReally? Playing with pictures can make your dreams come true? Really?! I didn't believe it either...until it happened to me.

I was stuck in a rut and I didn't know what to do to change the vicious cycle I was in. Arriving at my wit's end, I had to do something. Self-help books weren't particularly effective, meditation was lost on me, and keeping busy to take my mind off the ever-growing void in my heart was only making me stressed out and sick.

That was when a friend handed me a small bulletin board and instructed me to create a vision board.

Vision Board Basics: Step One - Create

You can use a cork bulletin board, or even just a piece of cardboard. What you need is something sturdy that you can hang up in a prominent place in your home or office. The bigger the better; more space equates to more chances to dream.

Once you have your backing, start going through old magazines, newspapers, and books destined for the recycling bin. Cut out pictures or headlines/words that represent what you want to do, where you want to live, or who you want to be. You might not even understand why you like a picture or what you like about it, but if it resonates with you, cut it out.

Then, create a collage with your pictures. Make it fun and creative, because you'll be looking at it lots. I interspersed mine with inspirational words and sentences for variety and emphasis (some of which I drew or wrote on my vision board instead of finding them in magazines).

Some people put a little more science to their vision boards, creating a three-panel scenario that illustrates where they want to be in one year, five years, and 10 years. Since I could barely identify what I wanted for breakfast in the morning, I stuck to a generic amalgamation of pretty pictures that intrigued me.

I must admit when I went through this exercise, it was haphazard at best. I didn't give it a huge amount of energy, but even at that, I found myself inspired by the collage of beautiful images I created. But I still didn't have much confidence that these images could become my reality; it seemed too far-fetched.

Step Two - Display

Next, display your vision board somewhere you can look at it often. Some people choose the bathroom (talk about being your own captive audience!), bedroom, fridge door, or office.

Then, look at your vision board. That's it. Just look at it. Lots.

Step Three - Watch Your Life Change

For a skeptic merely going through the motions of creating a vision board, I was amazed at the results. In fact, it wasn't until years later when I referenced the vision board I had created that I truly understood the power it had.

I had a picture of a light blue tent on the side of a waterfall in the mountains. A year later, I was camping at Crescent Falls in the Rocky Mountains with a light blue tent. I had never camped before when I cut out that picture.

I had a picture of an athletic girl trail-running on dark jagged rocks (it was an ad for North Face running shoes). A year and a half later, I owned those very shoes (which I bought on clearance) and was trail-hiking in Hawaii over the same dark hardened lava. I even had a similar beanie to the one the girl wore in the picture.

I had a picture of a woman in a sun-lit room, comfortably dressed, typing on a laptop. Two years later, I had left my career as a financial planner and was traveling the world full-time, writing on my laptop in beautiful locations across the globe.

These are just three examples of how my life emulated some of the pictures I arbitrarily cut out of magazines in an effort to change my paradigm.

How will Your Life Change?

Still not convinced? That's okay; you can be a skeptic like me. But humor yourself and try it: cut out a few pictures, make a pretty vision board, and revisit it regularly. If you're feeling stuck in life, what have you got to lose?

RELATED ARTICLES:

Setting Financial Goals You Will Achieve

Balancing the Needs of Tomorrow With the Desires of Today

One Daily Question That Will Keep your Life From Stagnating

Nora DunnNora Dunn

Nora Dunn is The Professional Hobo: a full-time traveler and freelance writer. She is a contributing writer under the CareOne Debt Relief Services Life Balance blog. Having sold her business and belongings to travel, she has been on the road since 2007. She travels in a financially sustainable manner, taking advantage of creative volunteering positions. As a former certified Financial Planner, she is financially responsible for her actions along the way. She believes there is a fine balance between planning for tomorrow, and living for today. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services. You can follow Nora on Twitter @hobonora

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • This is a great idea and easy enough to try.  Reminds me of the subliminal tapes that were so popular some time ago.  The whole idea is to let your subconscious mind accept suggestions.  Your conscious mind is not aware of the suggestions.  It is believed that  listening to the same subliminal suggestions over and over will soon become part of the person and, eventually, whatever is being suggested will actually be done by the listener.  So, why would looking at a vision board not have the same effect?  Interesting - I like the idea.

• @tiquie - It's easy and fun to do. And it is decoratively appealing as well, since everything on the board is something appealing that inspires your dreams! Try it....

• I feel like I have experienced it all. I have made myself sick over debt more than a few times; moving money around to make sure payments are on time or figuring out where to cut costs if unexpected expenses come up one month. When you slip, it feels

• When you approach your life with total gratitude, the resulting opportunities can be profound. Sometimes it leads to financial profit, sometimes other kinds.

• Reaching your goals can be a tiresome slog, but it doesn't have to be an act of sheer miserable force of will. Here are some tips to help you maintain the discipline to reach your goals - with minimal pain and lots to gain.

• You decide to clean up your finances, create a budget, and start saving money. But a few months later, progress is slow and you're losing inspiration to stay on track.

• In my mid twenties I was forced to move back in with my parents after several blissful years on my own. I would spend the next two years sharing a room with my 4 year old nephew--in fact, for the first year I had a mattreess and 1/3 a closet, and I wasn't allowed to watch television without clearing it with him first.  WHile packing up the few things I could take with me, I sat down and wrote out what I wanted my life to look like--at the time, I wasabsolutely desparate for a picture of my life that wasn't dismal.  I wrote on a 3x5 card " I live in a little yellow cottage with a garden in front and a black catin the window."  Fast forward three years later--I was unpackiing a box I hadn't gone through since the first move and I found that notecard.  I sat down in the living room of my little yellow cottage with the garden out front and read the note out loud to my black cat in asatonishment. I wish I had known it would be that easy.

• @Elena - WOW! What a fabulous testimony! I'm so thrilled that you not only turned around your life in such a positive way, but that you can attest to the vision board idea working! Woohoo! Enjoy your little yellow cottage. :-)

• Making big life changes can be so daunting some people don't even get started. Whether it's buying a house, starting a business, getting married (or divorced!), changing career or lifestyle, losing weight, or eliminating debt, life changes require patience

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment