Think of How Far You've Come

Life Balance

Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank.

Think of How Far You've Come

• Comments 2

Sometimes it's hard to be thankful. Even if it's Thanksgiving and you're surrounded by loved ones and good food, you might still be thinking about the downsides -- lousy job, no job, being out of shape, troubled relationships, or money worries. I'm sure most of us could come up with a long list of problems in two minutes flat.

But I want you to stop and think of how far you've come. Even if you don't like the results you're getting in life right now, what you've already experienced has prepared Think of How Far You've Comeyou to live better, today and in the future. 

What Have You Learned So Far?

Sometimes life knocks us down. It could be a setback at work, an injury while exercising, an argument with a friend, or whatever. All of us have been there, and you may be there right now.

When it happens to me, I try to count my blessings: good health, my family, a good job, and so on. But I find it also helps to remember times when things were even worse. I think of how my wife and I brought home our newborn daughter to a tiny two-room apartment. We were facing the usual stresses of new parents, but also dealing with big-city expenses on two skimpy part-time salaries while I was in grad school. I remember, later, looking for a good job with minimal work experience and wondering if I would be able to support our growing family.

In comparison to those days, a lot of the problems I have now seem trivial. It's not that I live a worry-free life -- not by any means -- or even that life back then was terrible, because it wasn't. But many things are much smoother now, years after changing our last diaper and with a decade-plus of professional experience on my resume.

Even if nothing else had changed, I simply know a lot more now than back then. There are more friendships and more personal experiences to draw upon as I face life. That is reason enough to appreciate the distance traveled since then. 

How Far Could You Still Go?

And then there's the time we have left, which is ours to make the most of. Whether you have one more day of life, one more year, or several decades, you have some amount of time on your hands that you can put to use.

As an experiment, let's assume it's just one day in which you enjoy good health and no limitations in your thinking. Imagine how you could spend one great last day being your best self, making your best contribution, and sucking every last drop of goodness out of life.

Are you imagining it? Write down some of what you would do. What work would you accomplish -- not drudge-work, but the stuff you were made for? What conversations would you have? What excitement would you experience?

Keep writing as you spread your wings across longer periods of time. What would you do with a great month? A great year? A whole decade? 

I want you to really get into this. Think back about how far you've come from your worst or most ignorant times. Think about how much a life can change for the better. Write down the dreams you want to make real in your remaining time.

That's the sketch of your game plan. Be grateful for what you have now and for the time you have left. In fact, go someplace quiet and say it out loud: "I'm grateful for the time I have left to work on these wonderful ideas." Then start taking action.

You can change your life. People do it all the time -- starting from the inside out -- as soon as they commit to doing it. Look at how far you've come, how far you can still go, and get moving.

PREVIOUS ARTICLES:

Tim Walker Life Balance Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services Tim Walker

Tim is a writer, marketer, and social media pro living in Austin. He joined CareOne's blogging team as a contributing writer for the Life Balance blog in 2009. As a blogger who has personally overcome debt challenges, he draws from his own experience to provide tips on living a balanced life and keeping fit. You can read more of his thoughts (on fitness and everything else) at his personal blog, What I've Learned So Far. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Tim on Twitter; @Twalk or follow us by clicking here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • See how often you can repeat those words to yourself in the days to come, and let those words steer your thoughts in a positive direction. The point is to take pleasure each day, in the normal settings of your life, instead of waiting for things to be

• Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your site perfect for my needs. It contains interesting and useful posts for me. Please continue to uphold. Thank you for this great article.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)