Making Big Life Changes: 20 Ways to Stay on Track

Life Balance

Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank.

Making Big Life Changes: 20 Ways to Stay on Track

• Comments 1

Making big life changes can be so daunting some people don't even get started. Whether it's buying a house, starting a business, getting married (or divorced!), changing career or lifestyle, losing weight, or eliminating debt, life changes require patience, dedication, and commitment.

Making Big Life Changes: 20 Ways to Stay on TrackHere are 20 tools to help you stay on track to making big life changes:

1. Define "Why"

Why do you want a change? What will life be like? Understanding and focusing on "why" gives you a reason to do the work involved.

2. Break it Down

Big life changes are usually too overwhelming (and indefinable) to tackle as a whole. For example, break down a debt/savings goal into daily/weekly/monthly sub-goals, or reduce clutter in your home - one drawer at a time.

3. Do Something Each Day

What can you do daily to stay on track? It doesn't have to be big, but it should be something. Motivation wanes when momentum decreases.

4. Don't do it Perfectly

Perfection bogs you down. A composer friend of mine never finished a song - much less his goal of an album - because he was always trying to tweak sounds. There's time for improvement; but you first need something to improve.

5. Keep a Notebook

Dedicate a notebook to your life changes. Use it for to-do lists, ideas, tracking progress, and motivational messages.

6. Get a Mentor

Modeling yourself after somebody else's success reduces the learning curve, creates accountability, and gives you something to shoot for. No mentors nearby? Find somebody online, read lots, and email inspirational people.

7. Marathon Mentality

In the middle of a marathon, even experienced runners want to stop. They bargain with themselves: just one more mile. When all you have to focus on is one more mile, you can keep going.

8. Go Public

Announcing your plans to others creates accountability and makes it harder to renege when motivation wanes.

9. Think Small

Don't worry about conquering the world in one go. When I started exercising, I began with five minutes daily. I knew I'd give up if I launched into longer workouts; but I couldn't find an excuse not to exercise for five minutes.

Once it was habitual and I saw results, I slowly increased workouts and found myself exercising daily - and enjoying it!

10. Get a Theme Song

Music can be very motivational. Choose a "theme song" for your mission, and listen to it when you need a jolt of energy.

11. Read

Rick wanted to quit his job and buy a sailboat. He knew this would take many years, so to stay on track he read everything he could about sailing. This helped him learn lots and stay excited. (It worked: I'm writing this from his sailboat).

12. Just Do It

Some days even small tasks seem overwhelming. Instead of allowing this to paralyze you, dive in. Once you get started, you'll gain momentum.

13. Ask for Help

Don't reinvent the wheel! Ask for help - from experts, as well as family and friends who can provide support.

14. Document Your Progress

Whether with pictures, a journal, or a blog, documenting your progress will help you see how far you've come.

15. Make it Visible

Inspirational reminders go a long way to keep you focused. Create a vision board, or post motivational words or ideas that pertain to your desired outcome in a visible place.

16. Forgive Yourself

Some days you won't be as motivated or excited about your journey, and that's okay too. Don't beat yourself up!

17. Obstacles are Temporary

Worrying about obstacles is counter-productive. Remain positive and calm in the face of challenges and they're easier dealt with.

18. Not Working? Change Your Approach

Tackling something from a different angle can give you a fresh gust of progress.

19. Visualize

Take a few minutes daily to centre yourself and visualize achieving your goal. This helps you stay on track, excited, and practicing the law of attraction.

20. Avoid Negativity

Don't keep company with naysayers or negative forces that sway you from your work. Surrounding yourself instead with positive influences will get you much further in life.

RELATED ARTICLES:

Setting Financial Goals You Will Achieve

Balancing the Needs of Tomorrow with the Desires of Today

One Daily Question That will Keep Your Life From Stagnating

Nora Dunn, CareOne Debt Relief Services Life Balance BloggerNora Dunn

Nora Dunn is The Professional Hobo: a full-time traveler and freelance writer. She is a contributing writer under the CareOne Debt Relief Services Life Balance blog. Having sold her business and belongings to travel, she has been on the road since 2007. She travels in a financially sustainable manner, taking advantage of creative volunteering positions. As a former certified Financial Planner, she is financially responsible for her actions along the way. She believes there is a fine balance between planning for tomorrow, and living for today. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services. You can follow Nora on Twitter @hobonora

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • when i am joy care one i fell good my self, but i still learn about    care one i don,t understand much . i am take time   me and my husband learning my lesson. me and my husband workhard  trie to pay off debt. thank you care one,

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)