Organize Your Nutrition in Advance

Life Balance

Nora and Tim help you find balance when dealing with a stressful debt situation. Learn how to manage stress and enjoy travel without breaking the bank.

Organize Your Nutrition in Advance

• Comments 2

Organize Your Nutrition in AdvanceSometimes you don't need an elaborate solution -- you just need to follow through with the simple solution. Case in point: eating better. How do you eat better?

• Portion control.
  • More fresh vegetables.
  • Fewer fatty, greasy, salty, or packaged foods. 

Seriously, just start there. Don't count calories or fat grams, don't dwell on how much you love cheap potato chips and your life will be miserable without them. (Really? Show some spine.) 

And then automate it. Which brings me to the topic of this post.

Better Nutrition, Predictably

In previous posts I've talked about ditching "working out" in favor of TRAINING. In other words, don't just go through the motions at the gym or on the jogging trail. Instead, set some goals, hit them, and then set some new goals. Push yourself, even if it's just a little bit. 

Now I want you to do the same thing with your nutrition. This isn't about "going on a diet," it's about fueling your training, even if you're in training to fit back into a 34-inch waistband. You'll need to exercise to get there, and the effectiveness of your exercise regimen will be multiplied when you predictably follow a better path of nutrition, day in and day out.

The best way to execute something consistently is to plan for it. Planning and budgeting -- whether we're talking about dollars or nutrients -- is a boring but predictably successful way to get what you want. So plan your nutrition in advance. 

Save Yourself Some Money

Most people visiting this site need to save money where they can. Planning your meals is a great way to do this. Instead of paying a premium for convenience foods -- I'm lookin' at you, workday cheeseburger -- you cut yourself a bargain by choosing your food at the grocery store or the farmers' market.

You make it and store it in advance, so that when your lunch hour, or your family's dinner hour, rolls around, you're ready. Restaurant food isn't evil, but the cost of it adds up over time, and you're better served to plan your meals in advance, save some money, and eat better while you're doing it. 

Save Your Precious Time

Convenience food, as the name would imply, seems convenient. You drive up to the fast-food place, order what you want, and then drive away a couple of minutes later. But think of the other time you spend sitting in traffic (I hate traffic), rushing back to the office, etc. 

Now imagine yourself walking to the break room, getting your lunch out of the fridge, and eating it with plenty of time to spare. Imagine doing this knowing that it's a healthy lunch that promotes your fitness goals. For that matter, imagine the healthy -- well-planned -- breakfast, dinner, and snacks that go around it.

Take Control

Life is too short to live as a slave to your impulses, or as a victim of your bad planning. Assert your own authority over what you put in your mouth by:

• Making a shopping list
  • Hitting the grocery store for what you need
  • Taking just a little bit of time to prepare healthy foods
  • Enjoying your meals
  • Taking satisfaction in the physical, financial, and psychological results.

It's a winner all the way around. You just have to do it.

Are you up for it?

PREVIOUS ARTICLES:

Tim Walker, Life Balance Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services Tim Walker

Tim is a writer, marketer, and social media pro living in Austin. He joined CareOne's blogging team as a contributing writer for the Life Balance blog in 2009. As a blogger who has personally overcome debt challenges, he draws from his own experience to provide tips on living a balanced life and keeping fit. You can read more of his thoughts (on fitness and everything else) at his personal blog, What I've Learned So Far. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Tim on Twitter; @Twalk!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I love this article some major and valid points made, kudos to you

• When offering nursing paper writing services, we normally encourage our clients to keep touch with the writer so that they can be updated on the progress of their work.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)