CareOne Community Member Spotlight - "CRT1487"

My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

CareOne Community Member Spotlight - "CRT1487"

Rate This
  • Comments 5

Introducing a new featured segment for the My Journey out of Debt blog; CareOne Community Member Spotlight! We are placing the spotlight on some of  the  familiar members you see engaging in the Community.

These members have graciously offered up their time to let me interview them about their personal stories, tips for success on the plans and more. This week I have interviewed Crystal; you would know her as CRT1487.

Pictured at left, Crystal and her adorable son

What motivated you to seek out a debt relief solution?

I was always very strict when it came to my credit.  One day I got this letter in the mail from one of my creditors that said, "We are going to raise your interest rate to 30% or you can close your account." That was just the beginning; the same thing happened with three out of my four creditors (the fourth one had already really upset me).  Unfortunately, my personal circumstances left me in a situation where I still needed to use my credit cards, so I could not just close them.

I had just had a baby, I wasn't getting my full pay, and at that time, my other half and I were managing our finances separately.  When I received these notices from my creditors I was current and under limit.  These rate increases were a shot to my pride--I could not believe that they were going to treat a good customer that way, and figured that they could just wait for their payments.  Maybe that's not how I should have handled things, but it's what I did.  About a month later, after doing research, I signed up for the settlement plan with CareOne.  

How long you have been with CareOne?

I have been with CareOne since November 2009 and am so relieved that I found a debt relief solution.  I have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS!!!

What are your top five tips for finding success on a Debt Settlement Plan (DSP)?

1. Know how much you can afford to pay each month.

2. Put any extra money you can afford towards your plan.

3. Do a TON of research to figure out if the DSP or the Debt Management Plan (DMP) is best for you.

4. Read everything; know what you're signing inside and out. I see people complain all the time about this and that, but really...everyone who is happy with what's going on did their research and knew there would be consequences that could impact their credit.

5. Think about the next few years and what you may or may not need. I personally didn't care what it did--I knew it wasn't going to take me seven years to rebuild. I already own a home and financed a vehicle, so I knew I didn't need my credit anytime in the near future.

Getting to know Crystal

Well, I'm a 26 year-old mom to a perfect little boy who is almost a year and a half.  I live with my other half but we keep our finances separate.  I personally believe what goes around comes around. I had to go through this, and it was really tough at first, but I am only human and can only do what I can do.  Even though my other half was willing to help, I said no, that I wanted to clear this up on my own. When I'm done I will have the satisfaction of having control again and building my credit.  I'm excited for the future.

What are you going to do once you have successfully completed your plan?

I don't really plan on doing anything big.  I know we want to get a "new to used" vehicle; I will have extra money to put towards the payment--but we will use his credit--and I really never want to see a credit card again.  I know I should because that's what builds credit, but I don't ever want to be in the mess I got myself out of just to get back in to it.

More Community Member Spotlights:

Squade

MDavis1964

Suzanne Coblentz is a CareOne Community moderator and works in the Social Media department. If you are interested in being profiled or have some feedback about the CareOne Community please feel free to email her directly at scoblentz@CareOneCredit.com.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Crystal it is so nice to read something from someone on the DSP.  I truly wish you all the best on your journey to become debt free.  You sound like you are a very strong person and will be able to handle what is needed to get to where you want to be.  Good luck to you.  You are an inspiration to all.

• thank you so so much!  there was so so much i wanted to say on this topic but i figured i would keep it short.  the DSP is hard..but when it came down to either putting all my finances towards my credit cards or helping my other half support our family there was just no way i could imagine sacraficing my time and energy with my kid for credit cards.  MDAVIS--thank you. Really means a lot  :)

• Please stop paying for stumbleupon users to hit your site.  It's stupid.

• Introducing Cheryl, our very first DMP graduate!

• We are continuing our featured segment for the My Journey out of Debt blog; CareOne Community Member Spotlight!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment