My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Did I Really Just Do That?

• Comments 7

Did I really just do that?I changed jobs.  I really did. 

I decided to leave the very stable comfort of my current job with the company I have been with for 6 years and try something different.  Am I crazy?  I don't know. 

I recently had a job opportunity come to me (I wasn't looking) and it really started to intrigue me.  Sure, I am comfortable where I am, but may be a little too comfortable.  I realize that unemployment is at an all time high and that there are people who have been looking for jobs for over a year; I know I should be thankful for the one I have.  I also realize that I work for a very stable non-profit where I make a decent salary and could probably retire from; but, part of me longs for the corporate world again. 

I have weighed my options and considered whether this is a smart move, considering my current debt situation.  Trust me, my fiancé reminded me more than once that the industry he is in is becoming more and more unstable; do we want to take the risk?  I do.  I do because it will re-energize me a bit and when I am re-energized in my work life, I am re-energized in all aspects of my life, including my financial life. 

I have slipped a couple of times.  For over two years I have made all of my DMP payments on-time, without fail.  The last two months I have not and find myself slipping in areas that I have never had an issue with before.  I know why; I am getting bored - nothing good ever comes from me being bored - hence why I am with CareOne in the first place!

I probably don't have to tell you that there are not a ton of articles that support changing jobs right now, but one that I did find interesting makes some good points:  http://careerbright.com/career-self-help/best-jobs-to-have-during-recessionck!

So in considering switching jobs, I took a lot into consideration, as the article suggests.  I will now work from home, saving on gas, dry cleaning, lunches out, etc.  I will travel where the company needs me to; I will have all expenses paid, get to see new places, add on to my frequent flyer miles, and earn airline tickets. 

Although I will not get paid a lot more, the company benefits and bonus structure are wonderful, allowing me to put my future husband on my medical insurance in case his company folds.

Yes, there are risks, and yes, I am very nervous, but timing is everything and I think for me it is time to branch out a bit.  I start in two weeks; I will let you know how things go....wish me luck.

Related Blogs:

Questions To Ask Before Taking A Job

I Can't Find A Job, What Should I Do?

Job Losses Become More Common, Secrets to Surviving 

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Good for you Katie! I am the kind of person that really enjoys being in a structured, comfortable rhythm.  But I agree that you need to shake things up every now and then...that's why I married a spontaneous risk taker.  We balance each other out.  If not for her, My life would probably look pretty boring to everyone else.   Sounds like you weighed the risk vs reward, made an educated decision and went for it.  I wish you continued success!

• Wow! Good for you ~ taking a risk is never easy, but we are behind you 100% Best of luck in your new career :)

• Hi Katie...I wish you the best of luck.  botbh my husband and I are also making a significant career changes that is both exciting and scary.  I have been a teacher for 15 years and have decided that I want to pursue a path of alternative healing, and becoming a life guide/coach.  We are also talking about relocating from Massachusetts to somewhere up north (NH or ME).  It is overwhelming but I can't wait!  Good luck on your venture :o)

• Thanks for the good thoughts!  So far so good!  It is funny becasue I think I read somewhere that the 3 most stressful things you can do in life (and to avoid doing them at once) is Move, Change Jobs and Get Married....looks like me and puppynlola are doing 2 of the 3!  I feel good about it and will continue to update you all on how things go.

• I feel that it's important to just go for it!

• Well, I believe in being completely honest about what it is like to be enrolled in a Debt Management Plan. Over the last four years I have been working hard to pay my off my debts, and I have downright screwed up...many times.

• This is my 142 nd blog. I started blogging for CareOne not long after I enrolled in their Debt Management Plan(DMP). The idea was to be able to share what I was going through, what was working for me, what wasn't, and most importantly just help people

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment