Almost a month ago, I started a new job.  I came out of my comfort zone to jump into something a little different for me from a career standpoint. 

I went from a non-profit company back into the corporate world.  I was ready for it.  I was ready to jump back into my old life and really see how far I could go. 

The new job presented all kinds of great opportunities:  working from my home, traveling different places, an increase in pay, and wonderful benefits.  All great, right?  Sure, unless you are in debt! 

As with any new job there is that transition period which includes a lapse in time from your last paycheck to your first paycheck - again, not a big deal for most folks, but for us folks in debt - a HUGE deal - especially because for the first three weeks on the new job, I was traveling. 

When Work Gets In the Way Traveling is something that I am looking forward to; I have blogged about the benefits of it previously, but what I didn't bargain for is the expense that goes with it.  So my new company was going to give me a company card to use for all my expenses - awesome, right?  Well, the credit card company denied me because they ran my credit report.  My score was good, but my outstanding debt was a little too high for their liking (duh, I could have told you that). 

What is really sad is they even knew the company would be footing the bill every month and still didn't approve me.  Nice.  The only other option was to pay for my expenses up front and then submit them for reimbursement.  Let's just say I got really proactive in figuring out how to travel for business on a budget! 

You can imagine that it was hard to find resources that talk about traveling for business on a budget, but I was able to find this handy article that seemed to know what I was talking about.  This article talks about the things I had the most challenge with...food and entertainment.  Again, understanding that the company will reimburse, but if you don't have a lot to spend to begin with - how do you do it? 

Kitchenettes in the hotel were truly a lifesaver - I could get simple groceries for the week and avoid eating out, getting fast food, or even using the vending machine.  I now truly appreciate the benefit of staying in a hotel that does offer some type of breakfast.  I don't care if they throw an apple my way - that will get me through till lunch. 

Entertainment is hard.  When you are in Podunk City, USA for one week, you tend to get bored.  I have taken advantage of this time by using the exercise equipment on site or doing some walking or jogging. 

Most places have some sort of "local" site seeing that doesn't cost much.  I try to find the "cultural" things that may be unique in their own sense, but are usually free!

Needless to say, I am managing and really enjoying my new adventures; but, as I continue to learn, just when you think that you have your budget under control, something unexpected pops up and challenge you yet again!  Oh, well....here's to exploring the free "unique" spots in our wonderful nation! 

Related Posts:

Money Saving Travel Tips

Balancing the Needs of Tomorrow with the Desires of Today

6 Steps to Planning and Saving For Your Family Vacation

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog and also for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here