My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Temptations….No Not The Singing Group!

Rate This
  • Comments 2

We all know what time of year it is.  The time when all of our hard work is put to the test.  The time when budgets are pushed aside, the dust on the credit cards is wiped off, and the pressure of the holiday season is upon us. 

Temptations….No Not The Singing Group! Don't do it. 

Don't give in to the temptations of the counter lady at the mall or the "Free Shipping" offer on the seven catalogues that you just got in the mail.  Don't let the reason for the season be about who can give the better gift amongst your co-workers. 

Just don't do it.

You have heard it over and over and over again: plan.  Make a list of what you need based on the budget you have allowed yourself for this holiday season and stick to it.  Remember, there is no one in the retail industry trying to help you save money - they want it all in December!  You have to be careful of the last minute gifts that pop up after you have completed your list and remained in budget. 

You start to find those cute little cheap gifts that really wouldn't hurt if you bought them...oh, but they do.  Try not to give EVERYONE in your life a gift.  I did that one year.  I thought it would show my appreciation for all everyone did for me. 

I even bought gifts and made goodies for my Veterinarian's Office; when I brought it in all wrapped and pretty  it got thrown on the table with the thousands of other "special" gifts.  I know they appreciated it and all, but as I walked out I thought of the thousands of dollars I had spent with them and how they should be giving me a gift!

Here is a great article with some tips that you may not have considered. Ever heard of dressing up when you are shopping? 

Here is more of the same, but also one that gives us a little reminder about what the holiday season is truly about and passing those values on to our kids: 

We have all heard it before, but it won't hurt to hear it again--don't go overboard.  It is not worth the holiday hangover that comes later.  Enjoy your holidays without having to feel the pang of regret afterwards.  We all love to give, but think of all the other ways you can give instead of with your money.  Have a wonderful holiday season and prepare yourself for a wonderful 2011.  You deserve it! 

Related Posts:

Holiday Traditions

Five Ways to Deal with Holiday Stress

Avoid the Holiday Wallet Hangover

Katie SimmonsKatie Simmons

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experiences in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores living life without credit cards and how things are going on the DMP. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for other posts from Katie under the Single and Settling In blog or tag. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Very well said.  I definitely have to keep this one in mind.  Not that I overspent at all this holiday season but I do like to give to those that I feel have made a difference in my life.  And sometimes a simple thank you is enough.  Thank you for this blog!!

• It's hard!  Let's face it, we know these things, but sometimes we just need a friendly reminder....especially around the holidays.  In January I tackle the after holiday guilt that we all tend to feel!  Best wishes in 2011!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)