My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Officially Married and In Debt!

Rate This
  • Comments 4

Okay.  Some of you have followed my blogs about getting married this year, but for those of you who haven't, I still think you may have some interest in how it turned out. 

Our destination wedding was PERFECT.  It could not have gone better.  It was everything we wanted and more.  What's funny is that as I look back over the year of planning and trying to maintain a budget, I am surprised at our ability to pull it off and not break the bank! 

Officially Married and In debt!Breaking it down, our "legal" ceremony in August only cost us the fee from the church and the small party we had afterward which was fairly inexpensive - we made the food and my Maid of Honor supplied all the drinks that were needed. 

We did not have any showers or bachelor parties which made it easier on friends and family. 

We got a fantastic deal on our "Pre-Ception" in December.  We found a location that was very family-oriented and looking to expand their catering business, so we got a fantastic deal; we found a DJ that was recommended by someone and she really only did it as a side job so her rate was unbelievably low and she did an awesome job. 

Our décor and party favors were bought on sale after Christmas last year and the destination wedding was paid in full by the time we left for Mexico.  We paid an extra fee to have a wedding consultant work with us at the resort, and for very minimal additional fees we received first class treatment, a professional photographer, and full ceremony.  We even got all 500 pictures that the photographer took from our wedding on Thursday when we left on Saturday! 

So, if I had to guess, we basically had three events between August and December and probably spent about $5,000.  No joke. 

Sure, my parents helped with some expense as a gift to us, but even so - we saved so much by planning and researching options. 

The best part is because of how we planned and the vendors we chose, we were able to pay over time instead of all at once.  So, we go into our marriage without the additional debt (and with that stress) of our wedding....bonus!!!!!!

We are excited to start our married life together and look forward to the adventures to come. 

As I continue to blog it will be about the challenges we are facing as a newly married couple getting out of debt.  At this point, I am more than halfway through my DMP. 

There's a lot to be excited about - I am looking forward to sharing it and overcoming the additional challenges of moving from Single and in Debt to Married and in Debt!

For those who are planning for a wedding, here are some links that I think may be helpful:

http://www.dream-weddings-on-a-budget.com/

http://www.a-weddingday.com/planning/nilybudget.html

Let me know if you are planning and need more help - I have some great ideas for you! 

Related Posts:

Wedding Planning on the Cheap

The Wedding Is Here!  Tricks I Learned Along the Way

Preparing For I Do

Katie SimmonsKatie Simmons

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experiences in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores living life without credit cards and how things are going on the DMP. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for other posts from Katie under the Single and Settling In blog or tag. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Congratulations!!  And you did it within your means.  That must be a great feeling and a good way to start a marriage.  Wishing you and your husband great success together. :-)

• Congratulations, Katie!

• Thank you!  I was a great year and I am ready for the next "stage" in my life!

• So, year one of my marriage and you are probably wondering (or not, but go with me on this,) how did we do? Well....depends on who you ask!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment