How many of you are dealing with after-holiday guilt? 

I bet more of you are and don't realize it because there are a couple of ways to look at this "state of mind." 

You can feel guilty because you spent too much during the holidays, went beyond your budget, and now have to figure out how to pay for it, or you may be feeling guilty because your friends and family did not listen to you when you said no gifts this year and you have opened many presents and have none to give. 

Once again, even though the holidays are over we still have to deal with the stress and the pressure of them. When does it end?

The Good, the Bad, and the Guilty I have a little bit of both "guilt."  My new husband and I decided we were not going to do gifts this year, but then as the day grew closer we thought about getting maybe just one or two so that we would have something to open on our first Christmas as a married couple. 

Well, we did and we each bought something completely frivolous that the other wanted and we were both very happy, but find ourselves wondering if we should have saved our money for a bill or something. 

Isn't that terrible?  We can't even enjoy a simple gift on a special occasion!

Then we have the family members who sent gifts even though we asked them not to.  Awful feeling.  What do you do?  Send something now?  It truly does make you feel bad.  So what do you do?  What kind of guilt are you all feeling?  What are your post-holiday blues?

Well, my husband and I are going to try to put aside our thoughts of guilt about buying a couple of things that we really didn't need. 

I have always said it is important to "reward" yourself every so often and that is what we did. 

As far as the friends and family that blindsided us with gifts, I have decided to have really unique and special cards made - no holiday cards, just neat thank you cards that are very personalized and relatively inexpensive-- and send some nice old fashioned hand written notes thanking them for their generosity.  I feel like trying to "make-up" for not giving gifts looks a little pathetic, so I am electing to take a different route.

I love this article that has some simple tips about avoiding the guilt of overspending. 

Bottom line is that there are different kinds of guilt and different ways of dealing with guilt and those of us going through financial strains will have to find the best way for us as individuals to deal, because it will happen often.  But the key is to deal with it and move on. 

Don't dwell on things you can't change; instead, focus on the things you can change! 

Related Posts:

8 Tips for Fighting Frugal Fatigue

All Out of Love and All Out of Cash

Control the Temptations of Post Holiday Spending

Katie SimmonsKatie Simmons

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experiences in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores living life without credit cards and how things are going on the DMP. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for other posts from Katie under the Single and Settling In blog or tag. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here