My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Is it in You?

Rate This
  • Comments 4

Heading to the studio cycling room at my health club, I walked up an open staircase and noticed a woman running on the track below me wearing a shirt with the slogan, "Is it In You?" printed across the back. 

I got to the room and started to adjust my bike. I used to attend studio cycling a couple of times a week, but it has been months since my last class.

On one hand, I was excited to put into motion a plan to exercise on a consistent basis again, but I was also a bit nervous because I remember how hard I used to push myself. 

How would I handle this first time on a bike in months? 

Then I thought about those words I had seen just a few minutes earlier, and my motivation kicked into a new gear. Is it in me? Yes!

My wife and I are also starting a new routine in 2011 to help with our budgeting. 

We have a budget broken down into categories such as; food, gas, entertainment, etc. However, we have gotten into the habit of spending the majority, if not all of our entertainment budget early in the month. 

So, we're starting the envelope technique that I recently read about. At the start of each week, we will put the entertainment budget in an envelope. Whenever we do something, the money comes out of the envelope. When the money is gone, we entertain ourselves at home. 

We knew we had to make some sort of change with our weekly budgeting, but was this the answer? Would we be able to limit ourselves to a weekly entertainment budget? 

Again, I thought of the shirt I saw at the gym. Is it in me? You better believe it.

Is it in You?A few years ago, my wife and I had enrolled in a well-known diet program. We bought all the materials and attended meetings. Both of us were within just a few pounds of our goal. 

Then summer came, we got busy, we stopped attending meetings, and we eventually quit. We still have all the materials, and have the ability to do the program, minus the support meetings and the monthly fees. We've started doing the program together on our own--each of us motivating the other to eat healthier and exercise. 

Will we be able to do it on our own, or will just we just quit again? Is it in me? Absolutely!

To help us reach both our financial and weight loss goals, we are all but eliminating eating out. By cooking at home, not only will we save money, but we will know exactly what foods are going into our meals. 

Will we be able to sacrifice the convenience of eating out except for extremely special occasions? Or will my hands steer the car to through a drive through on my way home from a long day at work? 

Is it in me? It's on like Donkey Kong!

These are changes I am making in my daily routine in order to achieve the goals I set for myself in 2011, mentioned in my blog, "Bring On the New Year."

To be successful, I need to stay focused and motivated. It is definitely in me; is it in you?

Related Links:

Bring On the New Year

Motivation

Surround Yourself with Support

CareOne is on Facebook!!!

CareOne is launching a new way to talk about debt, Debt Chronicles. Come and share your story or read about others who are struggling with debt. The CareOne Social Media Team is breaking down the barriers when talking about debt. It's time to have this conversation out in the open. Come and join the conversation today!

Travis PizelTravis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt blog and is a very active member of the community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan and in his posts he shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • This is awesome.  I know you can do it with that attitude.  :-)  May you reach all of your goals with much success.  You truly deserve it!!

• Thanks mdavis1964!   In a few weeks I'll revisit my New Year's resolutions and see how I'm doing.....stay posted!

• I want to be the Abraham Lincoln of my household, and I'm armed with all the tools necessary to make it happen!

• As a family that is currently living paycheck to paycheck, spending discussions between my wife and I can become a bit heated towards the end of a pay period as our available funds dwindle.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment