My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Stepping up Your BBQ Game

• Comments 3

Stepping up Your BBQ GameThe smells of freshly-cut grass, ground dampened by a sprinkler, and smoke rolling off of a hot grill mean that summer is finally here.

I LOVE this time of year!

In my neighborhood, summertime means the gathering of neighbors a couple of times a week for cookouts.  We rotate the location, and we do it potluck style. 

Whether you're getting together with friends, or enjoying a meal with just your immediate family, couldn't we all use a list of inexpensive ways to take our next BBQ to the next level?

Cheese? Yes, Please!

Purchase a few small blocks of cheese and slice it yourself. You have more choices with block cheese and per slice it's cheaper.  Eat it with crackers, or put it on your burgers. 

• Sharp Cheddar
  • Pepper Jack
  • Swiss
  • Or something new!

Toppings make the world go 'round

• Bacon : Cheeseburger, or bacon cheeseburger? Choice 'B' for me, thank you very much.
  • Raw Onions: Whether it's burgers, brats, or hot dogs, add some crunch to your munch.
  • Sliced Jalapenos: For the spicy people in your life.
  • Sautéed Mushrooms or Onions: A steak without either of these looks naked to me.

Compound butter, it only sounds fancy

Garlic Butter:

Soften a stick of butter, mix in a clove or two of minced garlic (use a garlic press), as well as some oregano.   Presto!  You've got a homemade garlic butter that will rock your face!

Use your garlic butter to: 

• Sauté Mushrooms
  • Dab on top of steaks, burgers, or shrimp on the grill to add flavor and juiciness.
  • Make grilled garlic bread
  • Spread on hamburger buns and toast them on the grill

Honey Butter:

Take another stick of softened butter, and mix in a tablespoon or two of honey.  This mixture is sure to make your guests sweet on you. Simply serve this butter with some crusty ciabatta bread and watch it disappear!

None of these items cost more than a few dollars, but are worth their weight in gold for their addition to an outdoor grilling event.  You can pick just one or several, depending on your menu and budget, but you are always assured to start a party, with your taste buds as the guest of honor!

Links:

Grillin Up Some Savings 

Save Money With Grilling

Have a Cookout With Friends and Save

Travis PizelTravis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt blog and is a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis very candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I'm actually going to use some of these ideas !!!The forth is around the corner!!!!

• Hi geejoy1, I'm glad that you found something you can use in my ideas!   It would be awesome if you could comment again once you've tried one and let the community know how it turned out - thanks again for your comment!

• It's a great way to socialize with friends without having to pay for and prepare an entire meal for a large group of people all by yourself.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)