My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

What’s Your Weakness?

• Comments 12

What’s Your Weakness? Clothes? Shoes? Shopping? Eating Out? 

We all have one......a weakness. Something that we just have a hard time saying no to that relates to spending. 

Well, for obvious reasons, for a long time my "can't say no" was credit cards. I was young, and they were great; I could buy what I wanted, when I wanted, and nothing came out of my bank account! 

Well, we all know where that got me.

Free Guide; Choosing a Debt Relief Plan

Even though I feel like I am on the straight and narrow nowwith my Debt Management Plan, I am by no means perfect. 

Currently my weakness is falling for deals, including sales and inexpensive items that I don't really need but are discounted so much that it is too hard to pass up. 

I can leave my house with the intention of picking up a loaf of bread and come back with 4 boxes of cereal that I don't like and don't need! Although it is specifically geared toward married couples, this article has some great tips about what to do when you feel the need to spend calling.

I won't vow to never leave my house, but I do have to be more mindful of avoiding clearance items and dollar stores when I am not looking for a necessity. I find myself convincing myself that I need something and trying to figure out a way to get it on impulse versus waiting it out to see if that need goes away. 

I have been budgeting, saving and pinching pennies for three years on the Debt Management Plan (DMP) and sometimes I just want to be careless. I am fortunate to have picked up some solid tips & tricks from CareOne and through trial and error the past few years while on my DMP. These little tricks have helped me manage my spending weaknesses and allowed me to recover from the occasional misstep.

Here are my favorite tricks for outwitting my occasional weakness:

• Budgets - If you follow my blog, you know that I am pretty firm believer in budgets. I would not have been nearly as successful in getting rid of this debt without it. I also know that cultivating strong budgeting skills will make sure that I STAY OUT of debt once I graduate from this DMP!
  • Spending Journal/Tracking - Every so often when those deals call my name I find myself indulging. I can see the effect of those deals in my budget and so I am quick to try and break the cycle. The best way I have found to do that is to get back to basics and start tracking every dollar I spend for a week or two in a spending journal. By writing down my every expense, from gas to coffee, I have a visual log that helps me assess the necessity of each expense.

My bottom line is that until I am independently wealthy (which I don't see happening anytime soon) I have to continue to manage my weaknesses in spending: I need to refuse to do anything to damage all the hard work I've done - it just isn't worth it! 

What tips do you use to manage your spending weakness?

Related Posts:

How To Conquer Impulse Shopping Syndrome

Avoid Impulse Purchases (Even If It's A Good Deal)

Giving In To Credit Cards 

Katie Lupo SimmonsKatie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment