My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Holiday Shopping Highlights

• Comments 2

Holiday Shopping HighlightsLike many of you, my holiday shopping is in full swing. The struggle between getting names crossed off the list and sticking to a budget is always difficult.

To stay on point this year I'm attacking holiday shopping with a dual-pronged approach of both saving money and generating additional funds. I want to share with you some of the highlights of my shopping so far.

Best Deal Found

The best deal we've found so far comes from the ever popular Craigslist. My daughter recently became very interested in a popular series of PC games and purchased one new at a retail store for $20. My wife found someone on Craigslist selling six additional games in the series for a total of $35.

Most Unique Gift Source Found

My son has an Xbox, and plays online with his friends via Xbox Live. One of the tools he needs for this is a headset with a microphone. The one he had purchased broke over the summer, so he's been borrowing one from a friend for several months now. The friend somehow ended up with three of them, thus he really wasn't concerned about getting it back.  We've approached the friend's family to see if they wish to sell it inexpensively.

Most Creative Fund-Generating Idea

Over the last few months I have been participating in Swagbucks. By taking daily polls, using their search engine, and taking surveys (among countless other activities) I have earned points that I can redeem for products. One of the products available is an Amazon gift card. I've been spending a few minutes each night performing some of these activities and have earned enough points for $30 in credit at Amazon.com.

Largest Fund-Generating Idea

We had a garage sale earlier this summer, but there were a lot of items that we thought would sell that didn't. With the holidays almost here, there are bound to be people just like us looking to score some inexpensive gifts. We put the items for sale online just a few days ago and have already sold $40 worth of stuff. We're shooting for $100.

There are still people and gifts on my list, so there's still opportunity to get creative in both buying and selling to lighten the load on this year's holiday budget.

What is the highlight of your shopping so far this holiday season?

Related Links:

21 Ways to Make your Holidays Shine without Spending a Dime

3 Lesson's on saving for Holiday Spending

The Hangover

Travis Pizel My Journey Out of Debt CareOne Customer BloggerTravis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt blog and is a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis very candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. You can also follow along with Travis on his personal blog, Our Journey to Zero. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • @Travis Love these shopping and money making ideas! I recently had a craigslist "sale" and ended up selling $500 worth of stuff! This is the perfect time of year to sell things as people are looking for inexpensive gifts.

• Wow, CoachSuzanne, $500 of sales on CraigsList?  You're motivating me to go back through our house and see if I can find more things to sell.  :)  Thanks so much for your comment!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)