My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

When Coupons Cost You Money...

• Comments 7

When Coupons Cost You Money...Armed with a coupon for $10 off a $30 purchase, my wife and I entered a popular retail store in the mall looking for some hand soaps for our bathrooms, as well as some scented lotion for my wife.

This was a budgeted expense, but having a coupon for 1/3 off seemed like a great bargain. The problem was, the scents my wife wanted in both the hand soap and the lotion were out of stock, and they didn't know if or when they would get more.  

I headed towards the door as I assumed we were done. As I reached the doorway to the mall, I noticed my wife was still deep inside the store. Apparently we were not finished with our frugal adventure with fragrances.   

The lure of the coupon was too strong.

She went through the entire store, smelling every scent, bound and determined to gather enough soaps and lotions to be able to use the coupon. I tried to assume my usual shopping position of leaning against a display with my hands in my pocket, but I was assaulted by a steady stream of soap bottles and puffs of lotion-scented air being blown up my nose, being bullied for an opinion. 

When she had finally achieved her goal, she had amassed a pile of six bottles of soap, and two different lotions. She readily admitted that while she sort of liked some of the soaps, she wasn't crazy about either of the lotions. She looked the potpourri of products and said, "This is stupid.   I'm having to spend more money to buy stuff I don't really like or need, in order to use that coupon."  

She put all the products back in their appropriate place and we walked out of the store. As we completed a handful of other errands that evening we happened to run across a display of scented hand soaps inside a different store. 

Price: $1 per bottle. We bought three.

That evening, as I was preparing to retire for the night, I emptied my pockets onto the kitchen counter. I looked at the receipt for the $3 we spent on the hand soap and then at the coupon that said $10 off a $30 purchase. 

What a deal. 

Related Links: 

Are You a Coupon User?

4 Tips to NON Extreme Couponing!

The 3 Cs to Grocery Savings: Coupons, Clubs, Creativity  

Travis Pizel My Journey Out of Debt Blogger, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt blog and is a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis very candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. You can also follow along with Travis on his personal blog, Our Journey to Zero. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • That's awesome Travis. We have done that before - wanted to spend because we had a discount then realised what we wanted was either ut of stock or not really a need, so a waste of money. $3 is awesome!

• UG I've gotten taken by the $10 off whatever coupon.  It's hard to resist!

• $3 for handsoaps for our bathrooms is awesom, Kylie, I was super happy that Vonnie realized what she was about to do. To be honest with you, I was just in "do whatever it takes to get me out of the mall ASAP mode.  :)

• It is definitely hard to resist, Ashley!  Lesson learned is to look at what the total bill will be (and if it's forcing you to buy something not needed), not the # on the coupon!

• I need to work on this! I hate to waste a coupon but it's not always a bargain

• So true, The Girl Next Door.....we are all trained to believe that coupons save us money - but we have to make sure that it doesn't change our spending just to be able to use it.  Good Luck!

• With this recent focus on using coupons, I suddenly feel like I may be missing out on something and leaving money on the table. I've decided I'm going to try couponing, and I want you to follow along win my adventure. Maybe you can even help me!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment