Get It TogetherThink about your strengths-things you do well at work, at school, as a parent or sibling, or just simply things that you do well as you. 

Now think about the things that you don't do so well. 

Is being organized on that list? Funny thing is that for me, when it comes to my job, I am beyond organized. I know where everything is, and have a system for everything I do. I have a calendar for every aspect of my job and wipe boards, bulletin boards, sticky notes, and a plethora of other tools for organizing. 

When it comes to my finances, not so much. I don't know why that is. I don't know why I seem to almost rebel against making sure that everything associated with money in my life is about as organized as a junkyard. 

Usually once a month I do a fire alarm type reaction to get myself up to date on everything and ensure all is covered financially, swearing I will never do that to myself again. Yet, the very next month it is the same thing. I feel like it is a fear for me. Like if I don't look at it, I don't have to deal with it; it will go away. Again, not so much.

The truth is, your finances should be the most important thing in your life and by default the most organized. This is especially true when you are working so hard to get out of debt. 

There is not a magic fairy that is going to come along and take care of everything for you. It is work - hard work - and it deserves your attention. Here is a great article that will test you on where you are with respect to your organization and some great tips on how to improve.

If you want my advice (being the great organizer that I am), start simple. It is all about baby steps:

• Have a calendar specifically for your bills and keep it where you can see it every day.
  • Set up some financial "meetings" for yourself.  If you schedule these every Friday between 5 pm and 7 pm for example, you have a set time every week for financial review time.
  • Get a good filing system going and know where you can get your hands on things you need.

Once you get the small stuff going, you can get bigger in your organization savviness!  We all know it will be worth it and that it will make a part of our lives a little easier.  I'll try if you will.

Related Posts:

Expect Success by Getting Organized

Write It Down To Get Organized

4 Tips for Organizing Your Finances

Katie Simmons Lupo, CareOne Debt Relief Services Customer BloggerKatie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!