My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

The Cost of Gas. Enough Said.

• Comments 1

The Cost of Gas. Enough Said.Turn on the news. Open a newspaper. Check online. Heck, just drive down the road and you will see it, hear it and complain about it: gas prices

We are all talking about these rising gas prices, but no one knows what to do about it. 

With gas prices on the rise, it creates a catch-22 for many of us. You need to GO to work in order to get paid, but you wind up using a lot of that paycheck to get to work. It's a pretty vicious cycle.

I am fortunate enough that I now work from my home. I don't have a commute that I have to worry about, but that doesn't mean rising gas prices aren't leaving a mark on my finances. My husband and I stop and consider every trip out of our home now. Even an afternoon drive for a mini getaway is no longer really worth the expense of what we will put in our gas tank. 

We think twice about driving to see family for holidays or get-togethers . . . it is sad to say that in some cases it would even cost less for us to fly to these events than drive. 

With so much going on in our lives, why do we have to worry about gas as well?

The reality is, you and I can't change the price of gas, but we can prepare better for it. That means having to change our lifestyles in some pretty significant ways. Are you prepared to do that? 

Rising gas prices impact more than just our transportation. We are seeing rising costs in other things in our lives including food and how we heat our homes. Can we make changes that will take us out of our comfort zones to ease the pressure of rising prices?

Here are some ideas that my husband and I are trying out:

1. Consider buying in bulk. There are certain things that you can get away buying in large amounts and storing to last longer-rice,  peanut butter, pasta, canned foods.

2. If you can, get rid of your SUV and research low-MPG vehicles.

3. Ready for some exercise? Walk, ride a bike, or use public transportation when you can.

4. Research other ways to heat your home if you heat with gas.

We are in for some challenges, but we all know the name of the game is not to hide from those challenges. Recognize them, address them, accept them, and move on. 

Related Posts:

7 Easy Ways to Save Energy

Eating for the Season

The Gas Crunch

Kate Simmons Lupo, Customer Blogger for CareOne Services, inc.Katie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • It is scary to see how much gas prices have risen in recent years.  I have a long commute back and forth to work (82 miles a day).  I wish I could work from home.  I am thankful that I work 4/10 hour days so one less day to travel.  I am also thankful that my vehicle gets between 37-40 miles per gallon.  I wish you all the best on working out ways to help you with the rising costs of food, gas, etc...

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)