My Son Has Tiger Blood. Winning!

Savvy Spending

Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses.

My Son Has Tiger Blood. Winning!

Rate This
  • Comments 6

Now that I have your attention...I'll get to the real subject of my blog: is it more cost-effective to purchase baby food, or make your own?

My son is just starting with veggies, and I've been exploring the cost benefits to both. And I have to say, for right now, where he is eating only veggies (and then fruits next week), making my own is WINNING (sorry, I couldn't resist)!

I was really worried about whether it would take a lot of time to make my own baby food, but so far, it's been a really quick process.

Here's a list of the reasons that homemade baby food is WINNING (okay, last time, I promise) so far:My Son Has Tiger Blood. Winning!

1. It is much more economical than store-bought baby food. I don't know about you, but I'm just not comfortable buying generic, no-name baby food for my son. I'm completely fine buying the generic brand of pretty much any product for myself, but when it comes to my child, I just can't do it. Not only that, but I also would prefer to be using organic baby food whenever possible, which brings the cost up even more! So instead, I've started making my baby food based on the organic products that are on sale at the grocery store each time I shop. This past week, organic carrots were on sale, so I bought a few bags, and started Charlie off with organic carrots.
  2. You can make a weeks-worth of baby food in less than ten minutes. As I'm preparing dinner Sunday afternoon, I also steam the vegetables for baby food at the same time. Once steamed (or boiled, if you prefer), I reserved the water used for steaming, threw the veggies in my mini-Cuisinart, and mashed them up, adding the reserved water until I reached my desired consistency. That was it, done in less than ten minutes!
  3. You can use frozen veggies! If you don't make it to the grocery store one week, or nothing is on sale that works for you, you can use frozen vegetables! I really wanted to start my son off with a green veggie, and I thought spinach was a bit ambitious. I couldn't find any fresh peas, so I bought frozen organic peas. I measured out the amount I wanted, cooked them as discussed above, and was done. And, I still have half of a bag left the next time I want to make peas!
  4. You can mash your baby food using a product you already own. Do not listen to anyone that tells you that you must invest in a food mill or baby food maker that costs $150. If you already own a food processor, a mini-food processor, a blender, a hand blender, or any other product you use to finely chop or grind food, you can easily use this. All you need to do is mash or puree your baby food until it reaches the appropriate consistency for a baby, which can easily be done with any product you have at home.
  5. Some foods don't need to be cooked! If you ever find bananas or avocado on sale, buy them! And, because they have hard outside skins that are not edible, there really is not much of a need to spend money on the organic versions. Because bananas and avocado are already a pretty mushy consistency, all you have to do is mash them with a spoon, stir in some water, formula or *** milk to reach your desired consistency, and serve. How easy is that?
  6. You can safely freeze and store a supply of baby food, so that you can prepare it in batches. If it's easier for you to spend a weekend or free day making a larger supply of baby food at once, you can easily do that. All you need is several sets of ice cube trays and snack-size, sealable plastic bags. Then, simply prepare the baby food however you'd like, and, once cooled, pour it into the ice cube trays. If your ice cube trays don't come with tops, wrap them in plastic wrap before you freeze. Leave the trays to freeze for 24 hours, then pop out the baby food and store it in individual snack-size plastic bags in the freezer, so that they are portioned out.
  7. Homemade baby food is better for the environment. And I like to help out Mother Nature whenever I can. By making my own baby food, I'm not wasting all the glass or plastic jars and lids, as well as the cartons used to store and ship the food, not to mention the gas and fuel to get the food to my grocery store.

So there you have it. My seven reasons that I'm making my own baby food.

I can't promise I'm going to continue to do this once we get to proteins, but for fruits and veggies, this method seems to work well.

What's your opinion on making your own baby food vs. purchasing baby food? Do you have any tips or tricks for saving money on baby food?

More Posts by Jessica:

I'm Sold on Online Grocery Shopping

3 Things I Wish I'd Known BEFORE Giving Birth

I'm Having a Baby!

Jessica KapustinJessica Kaputusin

Jessica works for CareOne as a Communications Manager. Jess has a well earned reputation as a savvy bargain hunter. She shares her bargain hunting skills and smart budgeting tips as a contributing writer for the Savvy Spender blog. Jess is also a very new Mom so check out her blogs for smart tricks and tips on, finding clothing, baby essentials, accessories, shoes, and home goods that look like a million bucks, but cost very little! 

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • So do you have to refrigerate the jars after you make them? I assume that because it is fresh and doesn't have preservatives you can't just plop them in the pantry, right? How long will they keep?

Great tips Jess!

• Hi Nichole! Instead of refrigerating the baby food in jars, freeze it in ice cube trays as soon as you make it. Then, once frozen, put each cubes-worth of food into a snack-size plastic bag and store it in the freezer until you are ready to defrost. If you do refrigerate, the baby food lasts about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, since it has no preservatives. Enjoy!

• Good for you Jessica ! I did the very same years ago...and with ice cube trays as well. You can puree meats and as far as that goes lots of casseroles and stews and freeze them too. My daughter was a *** fed baby and when I had to return to work, I used a *** pump and the Even-flo plastic liners...filled, sealed and froze....then when I wasn't home there was still a ready supply for her. LOL....but then I used cloth diapers on her too unless we were on the road and oh what wonderful dust rags soft old cloth diapers make.

• Oh...and those teething rings ? When my daughter was teething, a thin washcloth wet and thrown in the freezer....she was like a dog with a sock ! The cold was soothing to her gums and the texture helped relieve what experts say is like an "itch". An added extra...all the drool that comes with teething was soaked up instead of all over her or anyone holding her. Laugh if you will...it works and it doesn't cost more than a cheap washcloth !

• My children are now grown with families of their own.  I *** fed them till they were around 8 months old and then, with the help of my pediatrician, began to introduce baby food into their diet.  I began with regular baby food but soon found that it was very expensive and my son, baby #1) was a very hearty eater.  Have you ever tasted that stuff?  I did and that's when I decided to make my own baby food.  He ate exactly what we ate.  I cooked the food and would take out a portion for him before I added seasonings.  Then, I used my food blender to mash his to the right consistency.  I usually made enough for him to have several meals and would freeze in ice cube trays.  When the food was frozen, I removed it from the ice cube tray and put the blocks into plastic freezer bags.  It was a huge money saver as well as a time saver!  It must have worked well because they were all healthy and as they got older ate most anything put on the dinner table.  And, guess what, my when one of my daughters had a baby, she asked my opinion about baby food and when I told  her what I had done, she decided to make her own baby food too!  If anyone wonders about the savings, just go down the baby food isle and add up what one week's worth of food would cost versus your own home made.

• Thank you all so much for the suggestions and feedback! HarleyRiders72-we haven't gotten to meats yet, but when we do, I plan on pureeing those, as well! Tiquie-I really hope that my son is not a picky eater...maybe this is helping!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment