Save Time and Money at the Grocery Store

Savvy Spending

Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses.

Save Time and Money at the Grocery Store

Rate This
  • Comments 15

I have a new favorite website that I just recently discovered!

This should appeal to all of you multi-tasking, dual-income readers out there who can hardly find enough time in a day to apply body lotion, let alone cook a healthy meal for your family.

I fit that description above and I know that I am excited about this website! It's called Food on the Table, and it's an online service that helps families eat better and save money at the grocery store. All you have to do to get started is sign up and become a member and then input the grocery store (s) that you primarily purchase your food at.

Once you've entered your neighborhood supermarket information, the website automatically shows a list of the "main ingredient" items that are on sale at your local grocery store. From there, you select the items you'd like to use to craft a meal around, and the site spits back recipes based around these items.

For instance, this week, at my local SuperFresh, they are having a sale on ground turkey, which I'd like to use for tomorrow night's dinner. I simply click on the ground turkey, and the site serves up nine different recipes withSave Time and Money at the Grocery Store ground turkey as the main ingredient. The recipes are shown in a ranked order based on how they are rated by other users. They also include the amount of time it takes to cook each recipe so that you can select one that fits with your schedule.

Once you click on a recipe, the site then shows you the remainder of the ingredients needed, and allows you to click and add all the ingredients to your grocery list by simply clicking the "add" button. You can select recipes for your weekly meal plan, and then add any other items to the grocery list that aren't included in the recipes (like mouthwash or ice cream). Then, all you have to do is print or email the list to yourself, and you are ready to get in and out of the grocery store in less than 30 minutes.

As if you couldn't tell, I'm one of those type-A personalities who thinks I'm Superwoman, and can do everything.

I hate ordering in for dinner because I think it's unhealthy, and you never know what ingredients are really used to make the food, and it gets to be expensive.

I try very hard to cook at least four nights a week, and have found that this site saves me a ton of time that I was spending recipe-hunting and grocery-list writing. And, I have actually really enjoyed the recipes I've made from the site, like White Chili with Ground Turkey and Basil Tomato Shrimp.

My next goal is to select a few of my favorite recipes and prepare the ones that freeze well, in advance, the next time my grocery store is having a sale on any of the main ingredients. That way, I can simply defrost one of the meals when I leave for work in the morning, and heat it up when I get home. This means we're still eating a homemade meal, but I didn't have to spend any time cooking it, and can instead spend all of my free time with my son!

Do you have any websites that help you plan your meals in advance?

Any other ways you shave off some time or money while still going homemade?

Related Posts:

I'm Sold on Online Grocery Shopping

How to Save Money This Winter With Warming Soups and Stews

Savvy Spending in the Kitchen

Jessica KapustinJessica Kaputusin

Jessica works for CareOne as a Communications Manager. Jess has a well earned reputation as a savvy bargain hunter. She shares her bargain hunting skills and smart budgeting tips as a contributing writer for the Savvy Spender blog. Jess is also a very new Mom so check out her blogs for smart tricks and tips on, finding clothing, baby essentials, accessories, shoes, and home goods that look like a million bucks, but cost very little! 

To follow CareOne click here!

Download Our Free Spending Journal to Help You Keep Track of Expenses

CareOne Spending Journal
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Jess,

I have never heard of this site before; love the idea! This is great for the cooking challenged like myself; packed with ideas, tips, and ways to make the "chore" of cooking a little bit easier!

Thanks!

• Jessica - Amanda from Food on the Table.  We're so happy you found us!  Thank you for mentioning Food on the Table in your blog and please let us know how we can make the service better for you.

• Jessica - wow awesome tips here on Save Time and Money at the Grocery Store

• I've never heard of this site before easier, thank you so much for sharing! I'm always looking for great recipes and I'm not creative at all so having recipes selected for me will make life so much easier.

• Unfortunately, this website doesn't work too well for vegans.

• love it! cool... not mad at saving time and money!

• Thank you so much for all the feedback! I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this site. And Kelly, if I come across a site that is appropriate for vegans, I will be sure to pass it along.

• Your mom recommended this, and she was correct, as usual.

• Great article by the author on financial planning

• In keeping with my last post about the veritable rainbow of colors now available on the produce stands for spring, I want to provide another recipe for an easy and tasty soup that will let you take advantage of the fresh flavors and the inexpensive produce

• Two roads diverged in the supermarket, and I - I took the one less harsh on my wallet, and that has made all the difference.

• I haven't checked out the site yet but it sounds really good. I have been looking at smarter ways to spend my money at the grocery store and still eat healthy so I appreciate you sharing this with us.

• We're all looking for ways to cut our spending, and one of the first places that people look to cut is their grocery bill. The problem that many people (including myself) have is that there isn't a single item on a grocery list that makes an instant impact

• This  really helpful, I do really like to try new recipes, and how to budget time and money at the same time. Glad that I saw this.

• Great article! I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see and look forward to learning more.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment