Saving with Seasonal Produce

Savvy Spending

Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses.

Saving with Seasonal Produce

• Comments 2

As a chef, spring time is my favorite time of the year! After a whole winter of cooking nothing but potatoes, turnips and parsnips, it is wonderful to see bright colors on the produce table at farmer's markets and the grocery store.

Not only do you have more variety come spring time, but by taking advantage of all the seasonal produce, you will save money! Farmer's need to sell their seasonal goods before they turn so you can benefit with the lower prices!

Another benefit of buying seasonally, as if saving money was not enough, is that the fruit and vegetables will be brimming with taste and nutrients and vitamins. With the arrival of the  glorious spring weather you have plenty of seasonal bounty to choose from as shown by the lists below. Saving with Seasonal Produce

Your local farmer's market may vary on produce depending on your regional climate, but all these goodies below are available somewhere in the U.S. in spring.

Spring vegetables - asparagus, artichokes, avocado, all the beautiful varieties of beets, arugula, celery root, morels, many varieties of fresh peas and their accompanying pea shoots, fennel, fiddleheads, baby carrots, fresh fava beans, scallions (also called spring or salad onions), garlic scapes, leeks, lots of lettuces, radishes, sweet Vidalia onions, and watercress.

Spring fruit - apricots, cantaloupe melons, cherries, figs, grapefruit, nectarines, rhubarb, and strawberries.

One of my favorite spring vegetables is asparagus, not only is it delicious and so good for you, it is a snap to prepare.  After removing the woodier stems by snapping them off or cutting them, the stalks steam, sauté or boil in minutes. 

Here is one of the easiest and tastiest recipes I make, featuring asparagus and other spring time specialties, such as fresh peas and spicy mint, to perfection.

Spring Frittata, serves 3-4 as a main course

Recipe reproduced from Tiny Test Kitchen

1 tbsp. unsalted butter

10 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces

⅓ Cup fresh or frozen peas

4 extra-large eggs

½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish

2 tbsp. heavy cream

2 tsp. mint, cut into thin strips, plus extra for garnish

1. Turn broiler on to high. Place a 10 inch non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Add butter and allow to melt. Add asparagus and peas and stir to cook with butter, cook for 4 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent burning.

2. At the same time, whisk eggs, cheese, cream and mint until well combined. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for 4 minutes or until edges of the eggs turn golden brown. Pour egg mixture on top of asparagus and peas. Turn heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes.

3. Place pan until broiler and broil until eggs are just set. Flip frittata on to a plate.

4. Slice and serve with a green salad and warm, buttered French bread.

Related articles:

Show Veggies Some Love

Get Outside

Grow Your Own Garden

Vienna NowellVienna Nowell

Vienna currently resides in New York City, but is originally from London. She is a contributing writer under the A Straight Talk on Debt and Savvy Spender blogs. She and her husband are recently married and they are contemplating taking the nexgt big step and buying their first home.  They are still working their way through the process of buying an apartment, and Vienna and her husband are learning as they go. Vienna also writes a food blog Tiny Test Kitchen, is a freelance writer, chef and food stylist. Read more posts by Vienna here. Compensated CareOne Blogger

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Many people are hesitant about buying fresh herbs, as they often use them for just one dish and have over half a bunch remaining that will sit there until they have to be tossed out. I make sure that I plan ahead and only buy a bunch of herbs if I know

• In keeping with my last post about the veritable rainbow of colors now available on the produce stands for spring, I want to provide another recipe for an easy and tasty soup that will let you take advantage of the fresh flavors and the inexpensive produce

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)