Fun and Free Family Activities

Savvy Spending

Savvy Spender knows how to pinch a penny and about being on a budget. She has learned great ways to save money on everyday expenses.

Fun and Free Family Activities

• Comments 1

Fun and Free Family ActivitiesAs a stay at home mom of three little ones ranging in age from 6 months to nearly five years old, I am constantly on the lookout for fun activities to get us out of the house and keep the kiddos entertained.

The only problem is that many times these activities can end up costing a pretty penny, and living on one income doesn't allow for frivolous spending. That led me to a search for fun, free or relatively cheap activities to keep us active and entertained.

Visit a Local Playground. Sure you could play in your own back yard, but sometimes a change of scenery and things to play on can make a boring day into an extraordinary day. I like to pack a picnic lunch so that once the kiddos have enough running, swinging, and sliding I can fill their tummies then head home for nap time. Plus there are bound to be other mommies at the park, which means I might even get to have an adult conversation!

Library Programs. Take a moment and either stop by or visit your local library's website. You might be surprised to see all the free programs they have to offer. Many have story time for different age groups. And even if they don't have actual programs, just visiting the children's section with your little ones can be lots of fun and a change from reading the same story every single day from the selection at home.

Take a Hike. Literally. A quick internet search will probably turn up a local walking path or hiking trail within a reasonable driving distance. Don't let hiking trails that aren't stroller friendly stop you. Strap your little one in a baby carrier and enjoy the fresh air. If you have toddler or preschool age children, relish in their slow pace and take in everything nature has to offer that we as adults typically speed past. Packing a picnic lunch is also a great idea.

Garage Sales. Many times entire neighborhoods will hold garage sales at the same time. This is perfect for getting out of the house, pushing the little ones in the stroller, and finding some great bargains at the same time. Just be sure to bring along snacks and sippy cups to keep the little ones fed and happy.

The next time you want to get out of the house and do a fun activity without spending a lot of money, try one of the above suggestions. I'm sure you'll have a blast as will your little ones!

Danielle Harper, Guest Blogger for Leading Provider of Debt Relief CareOne Services, inc.

Danielle Harper - Happenings of the Harper Household

Danielle Harper is a baby wearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, breastfeeding mom of three girls that has been blogging at Happenings of the Harper Household for nearly three years.  She posts product reviews and giveaways as well as DIY projects, crafts, and tips for living a greener lifestyle.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Our library offers great activities that always go along with the theme of the book that was read... and going to a public park is awesome because that's how I meet other mom's. Thanks for the ideas!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)