A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

My Story

Rate This
  • Comments 13

In the late 1980s, I was a struggling young father in my 20s who was going through a divorce and trying to make ends meet. 

Declaring Bankruptcy

In an effort to seek help managing my debt, I took the advice of a lawyer and declared bankruptcy.  It was a huge blow to my self-esteem, but it made an important impression on me.  I was committed to learning more about managing money, investing, saving, and making my money work for me.  What I soon discovered is that most financial companies only help people who have lots of money, not people who are struggling to live paycheck to paycheck and pay their bills on time.

During the bankruptcy process, my attorney never mentioned that I had another option for dealing with my debt – credit counseling.  At the time, this was a social service available to consumers, but so many people like me were completely unaware that this service even existed.  I was sure that credit counseling could have made a difference in my financial situation.  Maybe if I was aware of this service, I wouldn’t have had to declare bankruptcy.  I made a commitment to myself that I would do whatever it takes to help consumers in debt who want to make the changes needed to strengthen their finances.  

Hope for others in my shoes

In 1992, I started my own business in the debt management industry.  Today CareOne Services is the result of many years of hard work to build a company that examines each consumer's individual financial situation and develops a personalized solution to help consumers become debt free and financially secure.

From my personal experience one solution does not fit every consumer's needs; however, every consumer can benefit from money management education.   

For the next several months, I’m going to offer you advice from my personal experience with debt. I’ll provide tips that anyone can use on how to better manage your money.  These will be practical, easy to apply tips that I have used and many others like us are putting to work every day.  I’ll also keep you up to date on what we are doing at CareOne to help you take control of your debt.  Please join me for new insights on improving your financial life.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I have multiple family members who have told me that they are lookin to declare bankrupcy.  I keep telling them that they should look at other ways.  My best friend had to after he was in the hospital after a car wreck.  He really regreted it because he couldn't buy a house.

Is this saying that credit counseling is better in the long run?  Aren't there ways to just wipe it out without bankrupcy or something like that?

• This debt counseling service was the worst ideal I ever had. This company could not deliver what they promised, and they tried to pass it off like everything was going well. I would rather have got the honest news that there were issues. I have no room for dishonest people.

• that's a scary comment above by helberg!! what do they mean about honest news that there were issues?

• Care One has worked for me. I started my program back in December of 2008 and I already see a huge savings. I don't know what helberg76 is talking about. Care One has been nothing but honest with me even if the news wasn't always good (ex: declined proposals). As long as I did my part, Care One has been more than helpful. I look forward to being debt free before my fifth year on the program.

• I for one am very happy you started this program. In March I could'nt juggle all the credit card bills anymore and I was'nt able to make 4 of our 8 payments. Thanks to Care One we are back on track and we are FINALLY sees our balance go down. Thank you for starting this bussiness and for making it so easy to join and start the path to becoming debt free.

• I agree with rambosarge.  

I am very happy with CareOne and it really seems like every negative comment seems to be coming from people in the Debt Settlement program.  Personally if you listen and ask questions before entering into the program of your choice, you should be aware of what you are getting into.  The debt settlement would have given us the easier way out as far as our monthly payments, however, common sense told us that it had its own difficulties such as possible lawsuits, garnishments etc.  Bottom line, if you are working with any of these programs, it is because you have somehow run up a lot of debt and you are going to suffer some consequences in getting that cleaned up.

• So far  I have been impressed and encouraged by the helps that are  offered from Care One. It isnt' just getting out of debt that drives me, but I want to learn and experience the feeling of being "debt free."  I am now paying everything on a cash basis and hope to continue doing so!  Thank you for your service CareOne!

• I have 4 cards on my program....

The balance is going down on all of them.....

There is one thing that does concern me,on one of my cards,when I receive the statement,it says I am behind,and it still says that my minimum payment is the same as it was before I got on the program.Care One says that all is O.K.,maybeI should check and see what the credit card company says.I will let you know.

• i started  out in 2006 with 14 credit cards now i am down to 4.  5 more  months to go & i will be debt free i will never get in debt again thank you care one!

• This is only my 3rd month in the careone program and I'm already noticing the results! I'm so grateful for a chance to make my debt go away WITHOUT bankruptcy. I'm just so excited to see the interest rates go down. If only they taught us in college the true COST of credit cards!

• Everyone was very helpful from the very first time we called CareOne.

• There is hope and strength in numbers. Keep up the good work guys! I am just starting this process but I trust it. Blessing to u. Dawnalee

• There is hope and strength in numbers. Keep up the good work guys! I am just starting this process but I trust it. Blessing to u. Dawnalee

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment