I'm on a DSP-My Creditors Keep Calling and Harassing Me, What Do I Do?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

I'm on a DSP-My Creditors Keep Calling and Harassing Me, What Do I Do?

Rate This
  • Comments 10

Enrolling in a Debt Settlement Plan (DSP) has its advantages and disadvantages.

While you are going through the process, commitment and patience are necessary. Remember, the reason you enrolled was either because you were no longer able to afford your creditor payments, the Debt Management Plan (DMP) did not fit your budget, or your only other option was bankruptcy.  

While we understand collection calls are frustrating, it is unfortunately a normal part of the settlement process to continue to receive collection calls and letters during the first few months on the plan. Here are some important tips to consider and implement when you receive your next call or letter. 

• Answer the phone calmly. It is important to answer the phone and calmly explain that you have hired someone to assist you with your debt and that the creditor should contact our Creditor Negotiations Department at 800-498-6761.
  • Don't be intimidated. Please keep in mind that creditors may tell you a variety of things in order to intimidate and scare you into making a payment. Settlement is not always easy and collection calls are one of the challenges of the program.
  • Stay informed. When you receive a call or letter make sure you gather the necessary account information and contact number from the creditor. Your creditors may not let us know when an account has been turned over to collections, so it is important that you confirm this information and let us know so that we are communicating with the proper creditors.
  • Keep a call log.  It is important to keep a log of each creditor call including the date, time of the call, phone number, and the creditor's representative.
  • Know your rights.  If a creditor is harassing you, please call and inform us about it so that we can help you. Please review the article entitled "Dealing with Debt Collectors-Know Your Rights" for more information. 

Most importantly, don't let the calls discourage you. This is a normal part of the process, and always remember, we are here to help!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Funny I found out the answer to a question I asked Care One.

I got my first call from the collection agency on my list. I hope to have more time with this Care One site.

• Well, I'm totally frustrated by the whole process.  I keep getting calls MONTHS after these creditors were supposed to have been contacted with a POA letter from Care One.  Obviously this was not done, so I had to do it myself.  I don't have the time to write down phone numbers and names of all the calls I get from creditors.  I am past caring if I'm calm or not while talking to these collections people.  

I signed on with Care One so that I wouldn't have to deal with these folks.  I WAS NOT IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE WHEN I SIGNED ON.  I had never missed a payment or even been late with a payment to any of my three creditors.  Now I'm being threatened with lawsuits because they have no idea about Care One's involvement.  

I'm mad, as if you couldn't tell.  

• Hi twink,

I am sorry you are unhappy with your plan. Unfortunately collection calls are one of the downsides to enrolling in a DSP. Your accounts need to be delinquent before any settlements can be obtained. Did you consider enrolling in the Debt Management Plan prior to choosing settlement? I ask only because you stated you were current with your creditors prior to enrolling. DSP takes time and patience but is an alternative to bankruptcy if you can no longer afford to pay your creditors. Hope this helps.

Suzanne

• I have given them the number, but they are sendng me letters from attorneys now.  I was happy with making my payments every month and no phone calls.  Can you just go back to the other plan with out additional cost?  I was told this was a way to settle and clear my debt.  I think that this is very slow and nerve wrecking personally.

• Looks inviting. Thanks!

• I'm thinking that filing  bankruptcy is my optioin now, I'm still receiving calls from the collection people and received thretenng lawsuits and it been a year almost with care one. Can i just filing bankrupty and cash out my account?

• I am still receiving all the calls.  I just have them auto deferred on my phone!  I fax in the letters to care one, and it seems to be working.  In a society of instant gratification, it is easy to feel that there should be an easy and fast fix to all of your problems.  However, there simply is not.  My suggestion is to hang in there.  Fax the letters from the attorneys to Care One.  Call Care One.  Ive been in the program since July and they have already settled two of my cards.  For me, the bad credit is not an issue.  If I hadnt used care one, my credit was getting no better!!!!  I know in a few years this will all be behind me.  Ive learned to make better decisions.

• @nrlee Thank you so much for your comment! It is great for us to hear that we are helping people and making a difference. We are very proud of you keep up the great work! :)

• It is nerve wracking, all the calls, all day long, on weekends and holidays, but I am going to do what the great folks at Careone indicated to me to do.  I am going to ride this out and reject the calls from these credit collectors and will fax to Careone any paperwork that I receive.  This program has worked for so many people, it's set up to work for me too.  I pray for all of you to have patience and a quiet calm.  If we could have continued to make these payments on a regular basis, I feel the majority of us would have.  I need help, badly, and Careone is doing that for me when these creditors would not.  Faith, my fellow Careone family, faith and prayers and this organization will see us all through.  Thanks for your time, I know it's valuable.

• You can also write a letter of no call to your creditors. I did this. I demanded that they contact me only through mail. So far, all of the companies have done so. However, I did fold and pay a creditor because they offered me an excellent option.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment