I'm on a DSP, My Creditors Keep Calling and Harassing Me. What Should I Do?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

I'm on a DSP, My Creditors Keep Calling and Harassing Me. What Should I Do?

Rate This
  • Comments 11

I'm on a DSP, My Creditors Keep Calling and Harassing Me. What Should I Do? We are answering our customer's top questions regarding their participation in the Debt Settlement Plan (DSP).

We want our customers to find continued success by fully understanding their plan and what it takes to be successful.  

This month's question: My creditors keep calling and harassing me. What should I do?

While we certainly understand your frustration, it is unfortunately a normal part of the settlement process to continue to receive collection calls and letters during the first few months of the plan.

Here are some things to consider when you receive a call. 

• Answer the phone calmly.  It is important to answer the phone and calmly explain that you have hired someone to assist you with your debt and that the creditor should contact our Creditor Negotiations Department at 800-498-6761.
  • Creditors may try to scare you.  Please keep in mind that creditors may tell you a variety of things in order to intimidate and scare you into making a payment. Settlement is not always easy and collection calls are one of the challenges of the program.
  • Keep a call log.  It is important to keep a log of each creditor call including the date, time of the call, phone number, and the creditor's representative.
  • Know your rights.  If a creditor is harassing you, please call and inform us about it so that we can help you. Please review the article entitled "You are Entitled to Fair Debt Collection Practices" for more information. 

Settlement can be difficult, but remember we are on your side and here to help. Don't let the calls bring you down; know that you have made the decision to pay down your debt and joining the DSP is going to help you do just that. 

If you have a question you would like to see posted please feel free to leave it in the Comments section or, ask directly in our Ask the Expert Forum.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I used to answer the calls (especially when they called me at my old job) but some of the agency reps were so nasty/unprofessional that it's gotten to the point where I don't even answer the phone.  Thank goodness for caller ID!  The last creditor I spoke with was genial, though, but I refuse to answer any more calls.  How long until they stop?

• hazel3gurls,

Unfortunately there is not a cut and dry answer as it can vary by creditor. Hang in there the first few months are the most difficult.

Thanks,

Suzanne

• how many calls from the same creditor before its considered harrassement? I have one calling every hour on the hour

• My advice is when you get calls from, unknown or private numbers, Legally you don't have to answer these type of calls.

• Can it cause more problems with the program if you don't answer these calls?  I can't talk to these people because they are so demanding and don't care at all about my situation so I no longer answer my phone.

• @lizadams  It is ok not to answer just be sure to forward any collection notices. We want to keep track of where the accounts are so we are negotiating with the right folks. Hang in there!

• i am concerned  when i file income taxes anything over 600.00 savings must be reported to the irs

• I received a call the other day from my original creditor (Check N Go - for an installment loan).  She left a message and threatened to garnish my wages and take me to small claims court, (that worries me), as well as threatening to report it to credit bureaus (least of my worries).  We have been on the program for 3 mos. Today, I received a letter with another threat to sue me(in 15 days from a payday advance lender).  My husband received a letter from Cash Call that stated "we have verified your employment, we can garnish your wages."  What can I do and I am also wondering what do if they do sue or garnish my wages?  I am feeling very anxious about this.

• Oops, I meant "What to do if they sue..."

• @BuddyLove24 I notice it has been a month since you made this post!  Wanted to know has anything happened since with the payday advance lenders?  I also have payday advance lenders and I am concern myself what they may tried to do.  Which Cash Call has already tricked me into making a payment with them.

• I received a call from Integreting Services, a collection agency, earlier this afternoon.  The gentleman came across in a professional manner,  however he attempted to scare me by claiming that the company he represents, GE Capital, will not work with CareOne.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment