5 Positives to a Debt Management Plan

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

5 Positives to a Debt Management Plan

Rate This
  • Comments 5

Motivation is a funny thing.  Just this past weekend, I woke up early to go to the gym on Sunday morning, and I really didn't feel like going. It was a dreary, rainy day and I could have just as easily stayed home. I got so far as to getting in my Jeep and driving to the gym. On the way, I saw a man running on the side of the road, in the rain, in shorts...with TWO prosthetic feet. That's right, TWO. After seeing that I immediately felt my motivation skyrocket; if that guy could run out in the rain, I could go to the gym and not whine about it. I wound up having one of my best workouts.   

The same can be said for people paying off their debt. On any given day, there are thousands of blog entries, talk groups, books, and radio and television programs dedicated to helping people pay off debt. Some people who read these succeed and some don't. Unfortunately, the latter is usually the larger percentage. When I was younger, our coach used to constantly tell us, "Hang with winners, and you'll be a winner." In other words, if you surround yourself with positive people, good information, and have positive reinforcement, things will generally work out in a positive way. On the other hand, if you surround yourself with people who see the glass being half empty, have lousy information, and only give negative reinforcement, things may not turn out so positive.  

My point is this: A large amount of reliable information about how to pay off your debt, live on a budget, and save money for the future is available to you-- it's up to you to use it! I often read posts in the Community from people who are worried about joining a Debt Management Plan, but have $80,000 in credit card debt! What sense does that make? You are worried about joining a plan that has a track record of helping people pay off their debt sooner-- with an organization that has helped 4.5 million people-- as opposed to owing close to six figures on plastic? I think that too often people tend to concentrate on the negative and not the positive. Here are some of the positives to concentrate on when you enroll in a CareOne Debt Management Plan:

1. You came to the realization that you need help. This is big! People generally hate to admit they need help, particularly when it comes to their finances.
  2. You sought help. Identifying there is a problem is only part of the solution; actually seeking the help can be a bigger challenge.
  3. You enrolled in a Plan. You took an active step toward paying off your debt and made a commitment to yourself, CareOne, and your creditors.
  4. You chose a company that provides budgeting tools and financial literacy education. We offer them; you have to use them and work with them to change your spending habits and your relationship with money.
  5. You are going to share your experiences with other people. CareOne offers an online Community and Blogs where you can share your experiences and chat with other people who have been in your position and made the same choices.  

The Bottom Line: 

• Surround yourself with winners
  • Take advantage of reliable information
  • Use the tools that are available to you to change
  • Tell the world what you did!

Rob Taylor

Rob is a contributing writer for the Straight Talk on Debt blog. Rob has been in the business of helping people get out of debt for the past six years. He is a product manager with the CareOne team and focuses on making debt relief plans even better.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I couldn't agree more!  That first step - recognizing and admitting you have a problem - is so easy and yet so hard to do.  It's like admitting you have an alcohol or drug problem.  Denial is so easy and requires nothing - no action of any kind.  The first step is the hardest but once we stop ignoring the problem we are on the way to a better life.  It took me a while to take that first step and, now, I'm so glad I did.  I seem to have found a peace in the midst of the problem I created.  My debt won't go away quickly but it will go away because I took that first hard step.

• This will work anyone, all one has to do is DO IT.

• @Tiquie, thanks for leaving a comment. I could not agree with you more, acknowledging that you have a problem is one of the biggest challenges when seeking help. @Bill2012 thanks for the vote of confidence and good luck with your plan! A positive attitude will make a huge difference to your success!

• I was a bit skeptical about doing this in the first place but as time goes on I am getting more confident.

• I knew I was having a problem and admitted it. Its hard paying on a credit care every month and seeing all the money eaten up by interest and the payment never goes down it is so frustrating. I am nervous and excited at the same time about this journey I just started!!! All I can do is pray.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment