Five Lessons from My Life to Your Life

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Five Lessons from My Life to Your Life

• Comments 8

Every week passes even faster now that I am out of college, working as a full-time professional.

Five Lessons from My Life to Your LifeBoy, I thought time went by quickly when I was involved in various student organizations, having a few part-time jobs, and taking classes.

This doesn't even compare.

The weekend comes and goes before I know, as does the rest of the week. The year has passed and it is time to enter 2011 and reflect on the lessons learned in 2010.

After thinking about the situations I've experienced in the last 12 months, there are five specific lessons that stand out, which I'd like to pass along to you.

See if you can apply these to your life.

Download a Free Budget Planning Guide

• Begin with the end in mind. For those of you who have read Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People®, hearing this concept is not something new. Covey discusses the importance of developing a personal mission statement. This helps you to lead a successful life and to focus on moving your ideas forward.
  • Be like Nike, "Just Do it." Since 1988, Nike has created many campaigns around the famous slogan, "Just Do it." This has turned them into a very profitable company and I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be applied to our everyday life. I've learned that positive attitude is critical to a bright future and a can-do mindset makes all the difference.
  • Stick with the bullets. The Washington Bullets officially became the Washington Wizards in 1997 and there is discussion of them changing their name back to the Bullets. I suggest that you actually stick to the bullets. I'm referring to making lists and managing priorities with this approach. As time becomes scarcer, prioritizing and knowing your tasks makes it easier to accomplish goals.
  • Reach out for wisdom. This may be one of the most valuable lessons that I've experienced this year. Having unique encounters is one way to learn. Reaching out to those older and wiser will help you learn a lot more in a shorter period of time. While it is necessary to fail in order to succeed, this can minimize the possibility of failing as often. Physical years are long; when having conversations with others many things can be learned.
  • Drive slowly and with caution. Life is a bumpy road and you never know what is around the corner. Therefore, it is necessary to drive slowly and with caution so you can be prepared for different situations. Always think ahead and follow the acronym of "APE: Assess, Plan, and then Engage." Assess your previous situations, Plan and apply this for the present, and then engage the future and move forward with your life. Believe me; you'll learn plenty with this method.

There is a saying, "you learn something new each day." This happens in life, as every day is a constant learning experience.

The five lessons listed above are only a few of the experiences which I picked up in 2010.

Please share some of your thoughts on lessons learned.

Have you been able to apply any of those listed above to your life in 2010 or in previous years?

Wishing you a happy new year ahead and all the best - who doesn't need a little bit of luck?

Related Links:

10 Things I've Learned From a Year of Self-Employment

The Five Most Important Things I've Learned since College

5 Things I've learned About Myself...

Dov HoffmanDov Hoffman

Dov is a contributing writer for the A  Straight Talk on Debt blog. Dov is a recent graduate of Towson University and has earned a double major in e-Business and Marketing. Dov shares his college experience writing about student loans, credit cards, budgeting, and other topics affecting recent college graduates who are entering the workforce. Compensated CareOne Blogger. Read other posts by Dov under our Just Graduated & Starting Out blog.

To follow us click here

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I am a big fan of Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Great book. Very relevant info.

• Nibs, I enjoyed reading Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People┬« and believe that there are a lot of tips which can be applied to our everyday lives. Wishing you a Happy New Years and I hope you can incorporate some of his habits into your life for the upcoming year.

• Thanks for the tips. My favorite is 'Just do it.'. For me, getting started was the hardest thing of all.

• Gayle, I'm glad that you like my "Just Do It" quote - I definitely think having a can-do mindset is extremely important this day in age. Sometimes it's difficult getting started, but once you're on that track usually it gets easier. Hoping the rest of the year is a smooth one for you!

• Dang, Dov, you are just a tot.  You have yet to experience the acceleration of time passage as we grow older.

• Hi there! I am so satisfied with all these recommendations and tips. You know that there are a lot of moments, which are really helpful. Keep in touch.

• Each of us has accumulated a lot of torture in life and the fact that you share it with us is very useful because many have not yet experienced anything like it.

• It is very pleasant to read when people share their experience and knowledge completely free of charge so that others do not repeat the same mistakes.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment