A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Debt Buddy Mentoring Program

Rate This
  • Comments 7

We are always looking for new and innovative ways to assist you, our members, on your journey towards becoming debt free.

We recently posted a forum post, Do you have a debt buddy?

It has received lots of interest and as a result we are introducing the Debt Buddy Mentoring Program for our online community members! 

If you are interested in being matched with a community member and supporting each other through your journey out of debt please click on the link at the bottom of this post to download the form.

Your information will not be shared publicly however it will be shared with your debt buddy so you both know a little bit about each other. 

There are two ways you can participate in the Debt Buddy Program. You can be a debt buddy for another community member, or you can ask to be matched with an experienced debt buddy.  

What is a Debt Buddy?

The Debt Buddy Mentoring program is designed to offer encouragement and support to new CareOne Debt Relief customers from customers who are successfully navigating through one of our plans. 

What Does a Debt Buddy Do?

The primary responsibility of a Debt Buddy is to offer support to a person that is new to a Debt Relief plan.

• Provides resources - Provides relevant resources and links from within the CareOne website to the new member.
  • Acts as a role model - Offer tips and insight on how you made it through in the first few months on a plan.
  • Shares wisdom and personal experiences about the plan.
  • Encourages - Helps a new member with supportive posts and private messages through the community.
  • Supports - Listens with a sympathetic ear, to acknowledge disappointment and celebrate triumphs. 

Can Anyone be a Debt Buddy? 

No: being a Debt Buddy is a responsibility and we have to be sure that those participating will be able to lend the time and effort required for the quality of support necessary. 

Here is what we are looking for:

• CareOne Debt Relief customer, who has shown a consistent and timely payment history and has been on the plan longer than 6 months (exceptions can be made by a CareOne staff member).
  • CareOne Debt Relief customer who is able to commit at least 1 hour a week to working to support their buddy.
  • A person who has the ability to communicate effectively and with compassion.
  • It is important that a Debt Buddy never judge how or why a person needed our help. A buddy must be familiar with the CareOne website and the My CareOne / Community layout; this includes functionality of program tools and knowledge of available resources. (Some of this to be facilitated through training.) 

Debt Buddy Best Practices

• Be clear on where the line is drawn between your responsibilities and those of the CareOne staff members.
  • Agree on goals for the mentoring relationship from the outset, and put them in writing (A template will be provided for this purpose).
  • If they need an expert response refer them to the community Experts or a CareOne staff member.
  • Strike an open and warm tone so your buddy will feel they can ask you difficult questions.
  • Listen as much as you speak so their questions and aspirations are always the central focus.
  • Set realistic expectations. You can provide your buddy access to resources and people, but make it clear that their success is within their own power.
  • If a buddy is not engaged or showing signs of distress on their plan let a CareOne professional know right away.
  • Don't give out or ask for detailed personal information about a person or their account information. 

Click here to download and submit your form to be a Debt Buddy or to be matched with a Debt Buddy.

If you have a problem with the form, just email tbradford@CareOneCredit.com with the following information:

• Name
  • Email Address
  • My Name in the Community is (Community User Name)
  • Which plan you are on, DMP or DSP
  • Are you Married or Single
  • How much debt did you begin with?
  • The best time to get a hold of me will be

Your information will not be shared publicly however it will be shared with your debt buddy so you both know a little bit about each other. 

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I need a debt buddy for the support if nothing else

• @ Smroth5252, Thanks I have sent  a message to you to get you started!

• I have been with care one debt counseling for 13 months and I have increased my payment once since Jan. 2011. Why doesn't mu account show how much money I have paid on my account online? And my escrow has not grown since Jan. 2011 and I have paid into my escrow over $2000.00 but all I can view is the payment amount and the payments to persels and asscoiates and the contingentency account. Can someone please tell me how much I have paid towards my settlement that is now active? I need a debt buddy to help me so I don't feel like I'm being ripped off!

• @Isabo1

I have escalated your concerns to have a member of the settlement team do a thorough review and show you where to find all account information.

As far as the Debt Buddy, I have forwarded you an email with additional information.

Thanks

Coach Tammy

• I need a debt buddy.    As I'm seriously considering chapter 7.

• I need a debt buddy.  Some one who's going through the same thing would be great!  Maybe then i wouldn't have to bother care one so much.  lol

• @codysabig,

I actually sent the information to you on Friday. Click on the My CareOne tab, then under the About Me Section, click on My Conversations. You will be able to read and reply to the message privately which means it will come directly to me.

Thanks

Coach Tammy

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment