5 Ways to Save Bucks and the Environment

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

5 Ways to Save Bucks and the Environment

• Comments 2

This month is "Going Green Can Save You Green" month at CareOne. As we all can, I try to benefit financially from being green. As much as I love helping Mother Earth, I love saving money a little bit more!

I want to share five ways that save me a few dollars each month because they add up quickly, and every little bit helps.

1. Many traditional power companies are listening to their consumers and offering alternative "green power." Some are even offering incentives for switching over, offering lower cost power and the ability to lock-in the current rate for a set time. If your power company is not offering incentives, look into your state tax benefits and see if you would be eligible for a rebate on your next return.

5 Ways to Save Bucks and the Environment2. If you live in a climate that is predominately sunny, not only are you very lucky, but you also could cut out the electric middleman, or at least subsidize your bill. By that I mean, you could install solar panels and create your own sustainable power at home. While the initial cost of pre-made panels is high, there are plenty of instructional sites online to help you make your own for a much lower cost. Remember also that you will be eligible for lots of tax breaks which will bring down costs in the way of rebates, credits, and incentives.

3. We have opted to switch to paperless billing. While there is not a charge yet for traditional paper bills, which inevitably end up in the trash, there has been talk of starting one in the future. Switching has not saved us any 'green' directly per se, but we find it a whole lot harder to forget to pay our bills when they are sitting and staring at us from our email inbox. As a result, we do not incur any of those nasty late fees. I love the "schedule at a later date" payment option as well. Weeks earlier, you can set a date online for the day after you get paid but before your balance is due and not have to worry about the payment again.

4. Have you noticed a sneaky charge that some supermarkets and discount stores have been adding to your grocery bill? In ten states, and counting, every time you buy a can or a bottle, you get charged a "bottle deposit." It varies from five to ten cents per container but it has been a proven way to increase recycling. So, remember to separate those cans and bottles out from your regular trash to make sure you get that money back. Some grocery stores have bottle banks outside where you can claim your money back, making it even easier for you to get your deposit right away.

5. Another way to save at the grocery store is to bring your own reusable bags with you to package up your food. Some states, including Washington, New York and California, have begun adding a fee or a tax per plastic bag that is used. This is a simple fee to avoid--just bring your own canvas bag which is not only stronger and more comfortable to carry but that also helps you make a fashion statement during your weekly shopping trip!

There are plenty of ways to save money by going green, as both the federal and state government realize that we need help to save our environment. The incentives offered to become greener really can help us save green!

Related articles:

Go Green and Save Money 

We Were Green Before It Was Vogue 

Summer is Coming and So Are Those High Energy Bills

Saving on Energy Costs Year Round Can Put More Money in Your Bank Account 

Gas, Electric and Water... Oh My!

Vienna NowellVienna Nowell

Vienna currently resides in New York City, but is originally from London. She is a contributing writer under the A Straight Talk on Debt and Savvy Spender blogs. She and her husband are recently married and they are contemplating taking the nexgt big step and buying their first home.  They are still working their way through the process of buying an apartment, and Vienna and her husband are learning as they go. Vienna also writes a food blog Tiny Test Kitchen, is a freelance writer, chef and food stylist. Read more posts by Vienna here. Compensated CareOne Blogger

To follow CareOne click here 

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • The cost of produce is high and continues to increase; and, if you're a veggie lover, like me, your grocery bill is probably high. To save money on veggies, people are turning their thumbs green and planting their very own vegetable gardens, but is it

• Summer - a great time of year to play outside, get a tan, and make some extra cash .

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)