A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Summertime and the Livin’s Easy

• Comments 2

In 1972, "School's Out" became Alice Cooper's first major hit single and it eventually climbed to #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart.

The song was referring to school's out for summer.

Summertime and the Livin’s Easy On May 19, 2010, in my personal life, school was out for, well, forever. At least for now. I graduated from Towson University with a double major in e-Business and Marketing, rewarded myself with a vacation to Panama and Florida, and then officially entered "the working world."

In the next few years I'll consider heading back to the classroom for an MBA. For now, it's just a hectic routine of work, work, and more work. How did this happen? On the same day that I graduated from college, I signed myself up for no more summer vacations. So, how does one continue to enjoy the summertime and make sure that the livin's easy?

Right now, I'm single and don't have any kids, so am looking at vacations, stay-cations, and much more for my summer plans.

Some of the activities which cost little or no money at all include:

• Parks and Recreation Centers. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I went to the park, but I know that it hasn't been recently. Take a Frisbee, a football, some snacks, and a few friends and you're good to go for an afternoon. Head over to recreation centers to play basketball, tennis, or racquetball, among other sports for free or a nominal fee. I'm definitely going to make it out to the park this summer.
  • City Pool. When it gets hot, there's nothing that I'd rather do more than jump into a nice cold pool. Unfortunately, I don't have a pool where I live, but there are community pools nearby - something worth diving into!
  • Local Library. Growing up I wasn't the reading type. Over the last few years though, I've come to appreciate the enjoyment associated with reading books. Check out your local library, but before heading over there make sure to review my recommended reading list.
  • Yard Work. Gettin' down and dirty may not be fun, but it's important to make sure that your outside doesn't look like a dump. Spend some time cleaning up, laying mulch, pulling up weeds, or cutting your lawn. Others will appreciate it, especially those who you live with.
  • One Big Event. To save money throughout the summer you won't be able to travel to Florida for vacation or go to an amusement park every weekend. There is still enough time to plan out your next few months and determine how to allocate your entertainment budget. See what your friends and family are up to, so that you don't miss out on their fun as well. Look at your calendar and treat yourself to one "big" event for the summer.
  • Much More. I did mention "much more" earlier on in this post, didn't I? Aside from the five activities just listed, there's plenty more to fill your time with during the summer months. Just to name a few, you can create a sports team, head up town and go for ice cream in addition to browsing the various shops, visit family and friends, watch movies, spend time at the beach, or have a "lazy day."

Do you have any plans for making sure that during the summertime the livin's easy? If so, how do they match up with my suggestions? I'm sure you may be a fan of diving into the pool, visiting an amusement park, or going to get ice cream, but I'd be interested in knowing how else you make sure that the summer is fun.

And, more importantly, remember that it's not necessary to break the bank to have a good time - you should have learned this already, but a friendly reminder never hurts.

Here's to an awesome summer!

Related Links:

Planning a Vacation On the Cheap

Planning a Cheap Summer Vacation

Summer Loving, Planning for Fun: Making a Summer Fun List

Dov HoffmanDov Hoffman

Dov is a contributing writer for the CareOne Debt Relief Services, A Straight Talk on Debt blog. Dov is a recent graduate of Towson University and has graduated with a double major in E-Business and Marketing. Dov shares his college experience writing about student loans, credit cards, budgeting, and other topics affecting recent college graduates who are entering the workforce. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services. Read other posts by Dov under our Just Graduated & Starting Out blog.

To follow CareOne click here!

Download Your Free Spending Journal Below

CareOne Spending JournalStruggling with your finances each month?

Tracking what you are spending and when you are spending it can be a valuable tool to help keep you on financial track.

Use this free spending journal to document your spending for a month and you will be surprised to see plenty of opportunities to save!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • My summer wedding isn't until next year, but I am currently caught up in the whirlwind of wedding planning. Of course I have a wedding budget, and below are some ways that I'm sticking to it while planning my fabulous, frugal wedding.

• Wishing you a great summer wedding next year and it sounds like you're doing a lot in preparation for your fabulous, frugal wedding. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)