A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Who Cares?!

Rate This
  • Comments 4

The other night my husband and I were talking and our debt came up in the conversation. For the purposes of this blog, please remember that I manage ALL of our finances. 

He says at one point, "I thought we were closer to being out of debt," to which I responded, "We are. We are less than a year away from being debt free." 

He continued by saying that was impossible because he saw the last plan statement from our Debt Management Plan (DMP) and there is no way that we will pay that amount off in less than a year. I then sat him down and showed him our first statement of that same plan after our first payment on the DMP, which was over four years ago. I had him compare it to the most recent statement, to which he said, "OH WOW, how in the world did we pay all of that off in just over four years?"

Sometimes, people just don't get it. Until they experience it and live the cutbacks and budgets and watch the balances go down each month, they just don't get it. For me, well I have been the one managing our debt relief, so I understand what we have accomplished. For him, this was a great eye opener. I realized that I felt proud of where we were, what we had accomplished. Certainly proud enough to discuss the entire process more openly than ever before, which just about everyone we knew. 

Part of me truly believes my husband thinks that I have made up the fact that we are working toward being debt free! I think after four plus years of hearing about it, people just think I am making it up and assume I will be claiming I am almost debt free 10 years from now. For the most part though, I can say I have a pretty good support system in my family and friends and I am grateful that they will all be celebrating our accomplishment when the final payment is made!

Not everyone is so open about their debt struggles. Which is sad, because I personally know that without the support of my friends and family, I may not have been this successful with my efforts to get out of debt.

The good news is, today, if you are struggling with debt, you don't have to carry that feeling of shame around with you. Today, it really comes down to, who cares? If there was a good time to be in debt, I guess from a support perspective, this is it.

It is almost "in" to be in debt and cooler to be working on getting out of it. Go to Google and type in "support someone in debt". . . voila! Support groups galore! Here with CareOne we have the awesome Community, which offers forums, the chance to ask their Certified Credit Counselors questions, ask other customers questions and then of course there are these awesome blogs.

So, who cares? A lot of people apparently! You have the resources, you have the support groups, you have what you need, so get it done. We're here for you!

Related Posts:

Surround Yourself With Support

Developing An Effective Support System Can Take Imagination

Katie Lupo, Debt Management Plan Customer for CareOne Services, inc. Katie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I can't believe that I am already 6 months in.  Time flies and the sooner you start, the better. Congrats on nearing your last payment and I am looking foward to becoming debt free too.

• I am also lucky to have such a strong support system in my family and friends.  I am also lucky to have my friends here on the CareOne site that truly understand what it is like to struggle each month to make all of this work.  On September 26th that struggle will be over as I will make my final payment through the program!!  Keep up the great work and soon enough we will all be done with this credit card debt!!

• Yup, that's how I knew I'd see it also. Afeter the plan was explained to me. Mine was 3 years 3 months. But even after the first  4 months I saw a drastic differance with the debt lowerering! The other way I thought/computed my time plan was that it was less than a "Presidental Term" Three years four months the last months running for second term. But now that I write this CareONE should be hired to get America out of Debt! Not the politicians, they don't want to really fix the problem, or are to afraid to ask for help.

Thank You CareONE, couldn't have gotten this far without you and others on this program.

• So not to get all cheesy and everything, but that is why I love this program....the support and built in cheerleaders!  You guys are great!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment