Riding the Debt Relief Roller Coaster

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Riding the Debt Relief Roller Coaster

• Comments 11

What's your favorite amusement park ride? Mine is the roller coaster. 

To be honest though, I don't really care for the customary climb that is at the beginning of so many of them. The rhythmic click, clack of the car as it slowly creeps up the hill drives me completely crazy.

But once you get to the top, you stare at what seems like straight down, waiting for the thrill of the acceleration that is about to come.

That's my favorite part.

Our October debt management payment was a significant milestone, as one of the thirteen accounts enrolled in the plan was paid in full. Next month, the $85 that had been going to our J.C. Penney MasterCard will be reallocated to a different account of our choice. We have chosen to apply those funds to the Best Buy account, which now has the lowest balance of any account in our plan. With the new larger payment, that account will reach a zero balance in about six months. 

The process will then repeat.

Vonnie and I have been climbing the hill of a debt relief roller coaster inch by inch, dollar by dollar, for three years and four months. Like a roller coaster rider, eyes closed, we listened to the steady click, clack of the car wondering if the ride would get stuck. Wondering if we would ever reach the top. Wondering if it would ever end.

With the 40th payment to our debt management plan, we finally reached the top of that hill. We're suspended in the air, looking straight down. Blood rushes to our faces as we anticipate what is about to happen. 

The process of eliminating our debt is about to accelerate.

The accounts will fall one by one, faster and faster, as the amount being reallocated gets larger each time an account is paid off. Each payment will begin contributing more towards principal and less towards interest than the last. 

What's your favorite amusement park ride? Mine is the roller coaster. I'm riding one right now and I'm at the top of a giant hill staring straight down. My arms are raised into the air, and my eyes are wide open. 

I don't want to miss a second of what's about to happen.

This is my favorite part, and if you listen closely, you'll hear me screaming all the way down.

Related Links:

Halfway Home!

Reflection on a year in the Debt Management Plan

3 Years in the Debt Management Plan, Still Learning...

Travis Pizel, Debt Management Plan Customer, Blogger and Customer Evangelist for CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

http://twitter.com/debtchronicles

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the following link: 

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • YAY!!!  I am screaming with you and Vonnie!!  Although I do not like Roller coasters I will enjoy watching you two screaming down that hill.  Congratulations my dear friend!!  It is all about to start happening much faster now!!  Let the excitement begin!!  I love success stories!!!

• Congrats for you guys! That is a huge milestone, you're closer to the finish line!!

• I just went through Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University and I recommend you looking into this.  Don't balance debt, obliterate it.

• Thank you so much, Monica (mdavis1964)!  I have to admit, even though we check our creditor statements each and every month, I was caught off guard looking at October's statement of the JC Penny account  seeing the balance within reach of being paid off!  It's so very gratifying to see an account get paid off....I can't wait for the next one!

• Catherine, it DOES feel like we're suddenly much closer to the finish line!  It gives us that feeling that seeing accounts being paid off forever IS going to be a reality.  It's such great motivation to KEEP GOING!  Thanks for your support!

• Jasmine, I certainly appreciate your suggestion, but my wife and I have chosen a different path to eliminate our debt.  I am well informed in regards to Dave Ramsey and FPU.  Through our Debt Management Program with CareOne, we are eliminating our debt (with reduced interest rates), but also being provided with the tools and skills needed to stay out of credit card debt forever. We have learned to live within our means, budget properly, improved our communication between each other, as well as learned the importance of an emergency fund.  Don't get me wrong, Ramsey's FPU is a great product and I know many people who were successful with it - we just chose a different way to accomplish the same thing. Thanks for your comment!

• Congrats, Travis - and now that you have 3 years 4 months under your belt the next ride (the 'save hardcore for retirement' ride) will be that much easier to stomach!

• Oh, I'm looking forward to that ride, PK!  This ride is to pay someone else for money I already spent......the next ride is to save for money I get to spend later!  :)  Thanks for stopping by....great to hear from you!

• Don't you love the wind blowing through your hair on the way down!? :-) We're proud of ya'll!

• Or across my scalp???   LOL....sure does feel good - a lot like the picture above...in case you didn't notice, that actually is Vonnie and I!  Thanks for the support Brent!

• I wanted to get a rough estimate as to how long I have to work to pay for the interest on my credit cards for the year. Adding up the interest I've paid on my credit cards so far in 2013, plus a projected amount for the rest of the year I calculated that

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment