Will my Debt Management Experience be Worth it?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Will my Debt Management Experience be Worth it?

Rate This

Back in August, I was preparing for a two-week business trip to India. Being a little short on funds, I was worried about what would happen if my family encountered a large, unexpected expense.  

In a moment of weakness, I filled out an application to increase our checking account's overdraft protection line of credit. My request was declined because my debt-to-income ratio was still higher than the bank's liking. This is AFTER we've paid off over $70,000 of credit card debt through our debt management plan.

I was frustrated and disappointed. 

My friend Reva, who is also enrolled in a debt management plan, recently went through a similar experience. She was booking a flight online for a trip she had budgeted and saved for, when she was presented with an offer to save $100 on her booking if she applied for a credit card. 

Being just months away from completing her plan, she was looking for a way to start re-building her credit. Saving $100 on her airline ticket would be icing on the cake. Unfortunately, she was also declined because the creditor that Reva applied to was one that she had an account with already and was enrolled in her DMP.

To say she was dejected would be an understatement. She questioned whether the financial and emotional pain and suffering she had endured during the course of her debt management plan was worth it.  Sure she was paying off her debt and her credit score had improved, but if she wasn't able to secure credit when she wanted or needed it, would having been enrolled in a debt relief plan help her in the long run?

Being in a debt relief plan is hard. 

In addition to making a monthly payment to the plan, lines of credit are closed and opening new lines of credit is not advised by debt relief providers or creditors. Even if you do try, being approved for them can also be difficult, as both my friend and I found out. The enrollment documentation of my debt management plan spelled out very clearly that this would be the case. Neither of us should have been all that surprised that we were declined, as the reason was directly related to the fact that we have debt and are enrolled in a debt management plan.

But as I thought about it, I concluded that I'm not going through this to make it easier to secure new lines of credit. I'm doing this so that I don't ever have to apply for or use a credit card again. My wife and I are eliminating our debt and working to manage our finances correctly not to get a better credit score, but so that we don't ever have to care what it is.

I look forward to the day when I have the funds tucked away in savings, which allows us to handle unexpected expenses without relying on credit.

I look forward to the day when my consistent and on-time payments to my DMP, as well as secured lines of credit, such as my car payment and mortgage, allow my credit score to simply take care of itself.

Completing my debt management plan, in parallel with learning to manage our finances successfully, will make both of these goals possible. In 18 months, when I make my last payment, will I look back and think it was all worth it?

Without a doubt.

Related Links:

Have I Learned My Lesson with Credit Cards?

Habit Forming: How to make room for healthy habits

Getting out of Debt is a Constant State of Mind

Travis Pizel, Debt Management Plan Customer and blogger for CareOne Services, Inc.  

Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up

• Slim Trim Capsules 60 mg- justedmeds

Slim Trim 60 mg capsules are 100% natural. It helps in weight loss and fat burning. When you start of taking these capsules. It starts craving of food. so you will eat more because your body demands more food due to calories loss.

Visit:- www.justedmeds.com/.../orlistat-slim-trim-capsules-60-mg

• Thank you so much for this wonderful Post and all the best for your future. I happily found this website eventually. Informative and inoperative, Thanks for the post and effort! Please keep sharing more such a blog.

• Get your school, office, and business work done with Microsoft Office Setup - package of Microsoft's productivity programs. Visit office.com setup to get the Microsoft Office Suite on your device.

Office 365 is the best choice for Microsoft Office users. This is also the most popular version because of its flexible subscription plan that let the users choose the right option for their needs. Office 219, Office 2016, Office 2013, and Office 2010 are good as well.

• Get Microsoft Office setup from office.com/setup, by entering the product key and logging into your account. Use Office apps and increase your productivity at work, school, and home. Whether you are a businessman, student, or working professional, the Microsoft Office productivity suite will make things easier for sure. From computer and laptop to smartphone and tablet, you can easily access all the applications on all your devices.

• To bring your printer back online, you can contact experts at Epson Printer Support experts to help you fix “Epson Printer Offline Windows 10”. For More Information:-  printeroffline.co/epson-printer

• I just wanted to say that I love every time visiting your wonderful post! Great information you shared through this blog. Keep it up and best of luck for your future blogs and posts.

• Very informative post, your post unique. Thanks for sharing.

• This is extremely helpful info!!Thank you for giving information.

• Trendmicro Activation- Follow steps for downloading, installing and activating Trend Micro. Visit trendmicro.com/activation for Trend Micro activation.

• This is extremely helpful info!! Very good work. Everything is very interesting to learn and easy to understand. Thank you for giving information.

• Avast activate - Get free or paid Avast antivirus. Download, install, and activate it from avast.com/activate

• Assignment Help is the effective source of getting experts’ help for composing academic papers. Connecting with the well-qualified professionals allows you to acquire top grades and complete knowledge of any subject.

• Every year we release our favorite luxury yoga retreats in Bali. We have some tried and true retreat centers in Bali that will always make the list. Luxurious yoga experiences in Bali with amazing views. The holistic haven is a go-slow yoga retreat that is suitable for individuals of all.

Read More:- www.inneryogatraining.com/azadi-retreat

• Thanks to post this article, your thought always interesting and helpful to me. PNJ Sharptech offers you best Web Development Services in USA. If you searching Web Development Company so please contact our team.

Page 31 of 33 (489 items) «2930313233
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment