A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Missing My DMP Deadline

• Comments 1

The date came and went. Kind of. 

Based on how things were going for me and my husband financially in 2012, I anticipated finishing my DMP program earlier than scheduled. 

Over the years I had paid a little more when I could and I had budgeted enough that I was going to be able to pay more in 2012 and finish about four or five months early. Well, once again life hit, and with some of the financial blows my household took, my planned date of graduation came and went. I will say, it was a little depressing. I was looking forward to being "done" early and celebrating my success. 

I had to re-evaluate and plan for the additional time that it was going to take to complete my plan.

Of course it wasn't the first setback that I have had, and I do not expect it to be the last in the coming years, but it was a reality reminder that sometimes things don't always work out how we plan for them to. I need to refocus my goal and look forward to the next deadline, and work my tail off to make sure that even though I am experiencing challenges, I intend to make my original date of graduation.

Although I may struggle the last couple of months, it will happen; and I will celebrate my accomplishments. 

As I sit at my desk writing this, I am looking at the statement for the last credit card debt I have to pay off on my DMP. I have had the ability to pay off the others early and I have always "liked" this particular debt because I still get paper statements for it so I can always really see my progress each month.

This is why I have to smile: Four and a half years ago, the balance on this particular credit card was close to $15,000. The little space on the statement where it tells you how long it will take to pay it off if you only pay the minimum amount said something about 20 years or so. I look at this same statement now and the balance is under $800 and that little box says if I pay the minimum amount it will be paid off in four months. 

Life is good.

Katie Lupo, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt relief CareOne Services, Inc. Katie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making the adjustment from spender to saver. Katie has been blogging about her DMP since she started and has over four years of experience on the plan. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I am early in the process and it is an inspiration to me to hear about those further down the line. Although things are getting better it has been a rough few months around here. Thanks for sharing because I know there will be challenges but it is nice to be reminded that in 4 years (or less) we will get there!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)