Now that I have finished my DMP, I don't want to get lazy.  I really want to make sure I continue the good habits that I have worked on over the last few years and ensure that I don't do anything stupid to get myself into another financial mess! 

It will be really easy for me to get lazy, and when I get lazy I tend to procrastinate and let things "slide" by.  Not good when it comes to finances!  Here are a couple of my immediate "to dos" to ensure I don't get lazy:

Set aside time at least once per week to review and analyze my budget and expenses. 

If I don't continue to do this, I will start to spend money without considering the budget I have set.  I may have the money to spend, but if I don't monitor it closely, that may change very quickly.

Start to take some money that I "won't see" and put it aside to build up those savings/emergency accounts. 

My problem is if I see money someplace (e.g., online savings, extra checking account, in my wallet, etc.) I am almost guaranteed to find an excuse to spend it.  However, if I take cash and put it in a safe or take more money out of my paycheck to go into a 401K or a similar account, it becomes out of sight and out of mind, and there it will grow.

Explore my whole financial profile. 

I have focused solely on my debt the past few years without even considering the other areas of my financial portfolio.  Should I invest in something?  How can I reach long term goals-what are my long term goals?  What does my credit report look like?  Credit reports are a touchy subject, but I will say that I want to dig into to mine and see what I can do to improve it and better align my family for our future.

My plan is pretty simple, but the steps are very important. I can lose interest pretty quickly if I don't check myself often.  Getting out of debt is an amazing feat; staying out of debt will prove to be an even bigger one!

Related Posts:

Review and Reorganize:  Life After Debt

Preparing For Life After A DMP

Life After Debt:  Staying Out Of Debt 6 Months And Counting

Katie Lupo, Debt Management Plan Graduate with leading provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Katie Lupo

Katie is a VERY recent graduate from the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making the adjustment from spender to saver. Katie has been blogging about her DMP since she started and has over four years of experience on the plan. Katie lives just outside of Charlotte North Carolina with her husband and rescue dogs. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.