Why I Will Never Use Credit Cards Again!

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Why I Will Never Use Credit Cards Again!

• Comments 4

I only have two gears: off and full blast. I don't have a middle speed.

In the gym, I don't understand the concept of a quick workout that could be described as "better than nothing."   A standard workout is between an hour and a half and two hours long. 

When I open a can of soda, I can't drink just part of it, and I always clean my dinner plate regardless of how full I am.

Just the other night, I was sitting at the kitchen table with my laptop and decided I had a craving for a little treat.  I opened the cupboards and found a package of mini chocolate bars and a container of individually wrapped licorice sticks.  Before I knew it, I had consumed two chocolate bars and eight licorice sticks.

I can tell myself that I'm not going to work out on a given day, or that I'm not going to eat anything after dinner and I'll be perfectly fine.  But as soon as I open the door and give myself permission to do something, it's full blast time.  I'll exercise to complete exhaustion, inhale a can of soda in a minute, or eat licorice sticks until my stomach hurts.

I've come to realize that I have issues with limits. 

There are people who can use credit cards successfully to their benefit.  Earning reward points or cash back are the most common reasons that people use credit cards for their day-to-day purchases.  Unfortunately, that would never work for me.

Having issues with limits is a very dangerous personality trait to have when it comes to credit cards.  For the last four years, we have successfully slashed away at our credit card debt and lived within our means. 

For the most part, we have said NO to using credit.  We HAVE slipped up a few times with some store credit cards that remain open.  When that happened, we felt ourselves sliding down that slippery slope, and eventually I decided that I would cease to carry any kind of credit card in my wallet.

It's just too easy to eat licorice sticks until my stomach hurts.

Related Links:

Have I Learned My Lesson with Credit Cards?  

Being Reminded of my Financial Mistakes

Entitlement is the Enemy

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the following link; <a rel="author" target="_blank" href="https://plus.google.com/115267468385198610042?rel=author">Travis Pizel</a>

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I am the exact same way! I do not keep ANY of that stuff in my house because I cannot just have a little. I work out long and hard until my face is beet red and I am drenched. It makes my mom worry. She says "Can't you just exercise normally?" Ummmm No. She always wants to buy cookies or chips when she is here. When I tell her I cannot have that stuff in my house she says "Can't you just have a little?" Ummmm No. I am either all in or all out. It has worked that way with the cards too. They are either all paid off or all full. Great post!

• Nice to know I'm not the only one that has issues with limits, Kimberly - thanks for making me feel better!  :)

• Amen brother. I can't even keep junk in the house 'for the kids' because the only kid who is going to gorge on it is me!! I feel the same way. I'm about to take the CC out of my husband's wallet for that reason. 'don't use it for anything besides gas' doesn't seem to register for him. UGH!

• You're comment made me laugh, Stephanie...we buy a package of Oreos (well, actually the store brand equivalent) for the kids, I end up eating almost all of them.  Soooooo, we don't buy those very often.

That's the thing about credit cards....you keep them just for "emergencies" or for specific uses, but it's SO EASY to talk yourself into using them for other things!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment