Early next year we will graduate from our debt management plan. 

People who know our situation ask me how good I think that will feel.  They have visions of me jumping up on a couch and yelling about how I'm finally free of credit card debt.

Except we won't be.

We have a creditor that does not participate in debt relief plans and therefore we could not add that account to our plan.  We have been pouring all our energy and effort into successfully making our way through our program, so the balance of that account has been falling very slowly.  

After we complete our DMP next spring, our efforts will turn to this account.

It will take us a little time to wipe out this debt, but the good news is that struggling through our DMP over the last four years has given us a gift. It's more than allowing us to make progress on paying off the thirteen credit card accounts.  It's better than finally getting in the habit of making a weekly budget, tracking our spending, or working endlessly to improve communication between me and my wife. 

It's something that I would have never dreamed of getting out of a debt relief program.

It's the drive, motivation, and self-discipline to keep doing it all.

You may have heard the phrase, "Give a man fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  Our journey through our debt management plan has done even more than taught me how to fish; it has instilled in me a love of fishing.

Watching our total balance drop from $109K over the last four years to its current level of under $20K has been an eye-opening experience.  As we've learned how to be successful in handling our finances, we've gotten a taste of what life should be like: free from increasing balances and payments and void of stress about where the money was going to come from for next week's necessities.

I'm not going back to that.  Not a chance.

What is the best gift that your debt relief program has given you?

Related Links:

What is Your Motivation?

What Self-Discipline Can do For You!

Motivation to Succeed on a Debt Relief Plan

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click 

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles