New Ways to Look at Your Newspaper

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

New Ways to Look at Your Newspaper

• Comments 4

Times are getting tougher; money is getting tighter, especially if you are living on a fixed income.  I am retired so every penny counts.  That's why I try to find ways to reuse or repurpose many of the items I use around the house. 

One of those items is the daily newspaper.  You can do more with your newspaper than just watch it pile up and then take it to be recycled.  I don't know what you pay for a newspaper subscription but I do know how much I pay.  Stretch your newspaper subscription dollars by finding novel ways to put that paper to work for you. 

Here are a few I have discovered.

Newspapers make great packing material.  Reuse the newspaper by putting sheets between breakable items.  Crumple single sheets to stuff cups, bowls and vases.  Wad up several sheets to use as empty space fillers.  If you are moving, you can save precious dollars by packing with newspapers.  Once you are ready to unpack, either put the papers back in the boxes for future use or turn it into compost for your garden.

Newspaper is an essential ingredient for any compost pile.  Shred or tear it and work it in.  Worms love it and it will turn the garden soil a rich, healthy black when combined with other compost ingredients. 

Do you have a fireplace? 

Reuse your old newspaper as a fire starter or as a log.  Save money with newspaper logs that are simple to make.  Roll the newspaper tightly to the size you want and bind with cotton string.  Newspaper logs will burn for about an hour and this saves on burning wood.

If you have to buy firewood, newspaper logs will be a considerable money saver for you.  Another good thing is that newspaper logs don't leave a mess on the hearth like wood logs do.

If you have a problem with wet sneakers, just stuff them with newspaper overnight.  The newspaper absorbs dampness and odors so your sneakers will be dry and odor free.  You can also stuff crumpled newspapers in camping coolers when you store them away for the winter.  The cooler will be odor free next spring.

For those of you who are gardeners, here's a trick I learned for new garden beds.  Thoroughly moisten sheets of newspaper about ¼" thick and lay them in the new bed just before you cover it with wood chips, mulch or decorative rock.  It will prevent weed growth.  I found this to be a much more inexpensive solution than buying the black plastic stuff.

This could be my favorite. 

After cleaning my kitchen cabinets, I cut newspaper to fit the top of the cabinet (the open shelf that faces the ceiling) and place it along the shelf.  The newspaper collects the dust and grease from frying. The next time you clean the cabinets, just roll the dirty sheets of newspaper together, give the top a quick wipe and replace with clean sheets.  This makes cleaning a breeze.

I don't want to forget the splatter guard.  For any messy project you are doing, spread out layers of newspaper.  When I painted one of the bedrooms, I put down several layers of newspaper and not a drop of paint got on anything it was not supposed to.  Again, quick clean-up, just roll it all up and you're done.

So, that's how I stretch my budget dollars and repurpose the daily newspaper. 

I like to think I am playing a small part in saving the trees as well.   The only drawback to working with newspaper would be getting the printers ink all over your hands.  That's okay, too, because it comes off easily with soap and water. 

I'm sure there are many other uses for newspaper.  If you have a special way to repurpose that newspaper, please share with us. 

Until next time remember, SAVE A TREE, REPURPOSE YOUR NEWSPAPER!

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blogs! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • My mom always used the Sunday comics for wrapping paper!

• ondecker, what a great idea!  Children, especially, would love to receive gifts wrapped up with their favorite comic characters.  I'll add that to MY list and thanks!

• You can also clean your windows with newspaper...add some vinegar to the bucket of water and dip a wad of newspaper in it. Your windows get clean and streak free!  I had to do this when I was a kid doing my Saturday chores....

• Hi honorcourt!  Thanks for another great, money saving way to use the newspaper.  I'm going to try this today and I'm so excited about the money savings for this suggestion.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment