Laughing Your Way to Entertainment Savings

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Laughing Your Way to Entertainment Savings

• Comments 2

There have been many posts and articles written about how to have a great time while staying within the confines of your own home.  I've certainly written my share.  But what about those times that you've got a little extra cash and you want to do something special? 

Go out on the town with your friends?  That's definitely spendy. 

How about a movie?  Done that a million times, and honestly I'd rather rent one. 

I've got a better idea: Go to a live comedy club!

My wife and I used to go to see free live comedy on Sunday nights at a bar close to campus when we were in college, and we've been hooked ever since.  Once we were married and moved to a new city, the nearest comedy club was in the St. Paul / Minneapolis metro area about an hour north of us. 

That limited our comedy club trips to when we were going to be in the area visiting family.

A few years ago a live comedy club opened up in our city, so naturally we immediately went to check it out.  The price is reasonable at $14 a ticket if we call and purchase our tickets ahead of time.   The shows are in the evening which means free downtown parking where we live.  The club is also a bar, but honestly I'm there to laugh and rarely order anything especially since I will have to navigate our way home after the show. 

It's even more fun to go with a group of people, so we normally pair a trip to the comedy club with hanging out with our friends on the deck at home before and/or after the show.

Thursday is open mic night where local comedian wannabees test their skills.  The night's winner, chosen by audience applause, gets to be the MC for the following weekend's shows. The best part is admission to open mic night is FREE.

I may even get up on stage myself one day.

It's been said that laughter is the best medicine.  For those of us working hard to get out of debt, we spend an enormous amount of energy trying to strip every unnecessary expense from the budget, and to finding every way possible to stretch a dollar. 

I can't think of any better way to spend a little of that extra money than on some of that medicine.

Have you been to a comedy club?  How did you like it?

Related Links:

Socializing on a Budget

In Debt...and Ready to Party!

Classic Move Night - A Frugal Party Night Idea

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I LOVE comedy clubs! Laughing is my favorite hobby ;) We have not been since we moved. I will have to look into it and see if there are any close by. Thanks for the reminder. Another great post!

• I was really excited when the comedy club in my city opened up.....I always thought it something the community was missing - and I was right.  The place is busy every weekend.  "Laughing is my favorite hobby"  <--- love that quote, Kimberly!  Mine too.  :)  They always say, laughter is the best medicine!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)