Make Money Off of a Gift Certificate

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Make Money Off of a Gift Certificate

• Comments 2

Before my daughter moved to California, she had won a gift certificate from her employer for a free night at the Belmont as well as $100 toward food at the restaurant. While I was visiting her in May she offered the certificate to me, since it would expire by the end of this year and she would not be able to use it. 

Knowing that I would not be able to eat $100 worth of food on my own, I invited my niece to join me. 

We stayed in a room with the most beautiful view of the Puget Sound. We were right above the outdoor section of the restaurant, so we got a lot of the aroma from the foods being served below us, making us hungry.

We headed down to the restaurant for dinner, and found the prices to be very reasonable for the amount of food they gave us. 

I wasn't sure how it was going to work when our bill was only $40 and the gift certificate allows us $100.  At first I thought they would just give us another gift certificate with the $60 on it and we would have to cover the tip ourselves. What we learned was they took the certificate and gave us $60 in cash. 

This trip ended up making us money.

What I chose to do with the money left from the gift certificate was to give it to my daughter.  That way she still won something for her hard work at her former employer.  What a nice, inexpensive staycation I had.

Have you ever had a gift certificate you were able to make money on? 

Is this normal practice or were we correct in being pleasantly surprised?

Monica Davis, Debt management plan graduate, with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Monica Davis

Monica is no stranger to the CareOne Community. As a debt management plan customer (DMP), Monica engaged in our community forums regularly, helping others with questions about the plans. Now that Monica has completed her DMP in just three years, Monica continues to share what made her successful in the forums and now through our blogs. Monica is accustomed to providing support and works as a Communications Officer for an emergency dispatch center in Washington State.  Follow Monica as she shares her tips and insight in the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Its actually quite comment..  Nowadays many employers will offer gift vouchers & certificates as incentives to their employees rather than pay bonuses.  

Toby

• Thank you for your insight.  Is it also normal practice to get cash back on the unused portion of a gift certificate?  I know anywhere I have worked before we always gave them the remainder left on a gift certificate in another certificate making sure they spent the money at our establishment.  :-)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)