Old School Savings Trick Know Where Every Dollar Goes

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Old School Savings Trick Know Where Every Dollar Goes

• Comments 2

In my quest to "find" more money to put into my savings account, I took a good, hard look at where some of my money has been going, and re-evaluate whether it needs to change direction. 

I was somewhat astounded at some of the errant paths my money was taking! 

My goal was to identify wasted money that could be rechanneled into savings rather than released back into the somewhat fickle waters of the checking account.

Before my husband left our marriage, we had VOWED to work on our physical fitness.  Now, I am absolutely SURE there are a lot of you who will relate to this one.  Part of our well-intentioned plan was to go to a gym several times a week.  In addition, I had signed up for an online weight management program. 

If you follow my blog, you'll know that divorce devastated many of the great plans I had for my life, and forced me to make many changes.  I noticed that the monthly cost for the gym was continuing to come out of checking, as was the weight control program membership although neither was now being used.   WOW, this was $95 coming out that was in essence being WASTED since "life" had temporarily changed my priorities.  I quickly realized I could exercise at home or with a friend, and I could use a FREE weight management application on my Smartphone.  That $95 could then be channeled to my savings account. 

Another way I saw a way to save money was on transportation to and from work. 

Due to a visual problem, I am unable to drive, but must go quite a distance to my job.  Using taxis was costing a small fortune, but for awhile, I rationalized that this was a necessity........... I had to get to work!  When I set my mind to find a way to cut costs, I investigated our public transportation system and was reminded I could get half price passes due to my disability. 

I also found out, simply by going to the transit webpage, that our little suburb had initiated a "neighborhood ride" service on which I could get "rides on demand" to and from the bus terminal at the county line, where I could then take a quick ride to my place of employment for a mere 75 cents.  This all amounted to a very significant savings for me, and I determined that those saved dollars would also go into the savings "pot of money." 

Sometimes all it takes is to set aside a block of time to sit quietly, look at your expenses very honestly and sometimes with a brutally realistic eye, and  see where there is waste, and where there is  possibility to save.  In my case, I found several ways to cut waste, save money, eliminate the stress of worrying about transportation, AND gave myself some new motivation for my goal of becoming "fit on a budget."  (We all know that regardless of how glamorous a program to become fit is...... the motivation MUST come from within for the result to be successful.)

I'm not talking "pie in the sky," because I realize that sometimes in life, every dollar is spoken for, but I am encouraging all of us to examine where our dollars are going and always be on the lookout for ways to better allocate our income.  WE CAN DO THIS !

Julie Van Wert, Debt Management Plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Julie Van Wert

I am a Medical Social Worker at a community hospital, living in the great state of California. I am married and have three wonderful children, and three beautiful grandsons, with another grandbaby on the way. My family also includes a miniature Dachshund named Conrad. I love gardening and spending time outdoors, but I equally love doing home decorating projects. I've been enrolled in the Debt Management Plan for just under a year, and that has been a real "turning point" in my financial life. I hope you will follow along with my blogs under A Straight Talk on Debt in the CareOne blogs. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • It is so true that we need to "set aside a block of time" to see where we can change spending patterns. I personally find it very difficult to find this time. I think that the hyper busyness of our lifestyles is one of the big obstacles to debt reduction. You have clearly managed to make some significant headway in finding ways to save more. You make it clear that "setting aside a block of time", although difficult, is worth it.

• From experience, when im talking to clients, one of the biggest ways to make a saving, is on their direct debits. Looking at your monthly expenditures, you'll be amazed at what you're still paying for that you don't need  or can get a better deal elsewhere (i.e.  insurance).  The savings made here can go straight into your saving account!

Toby

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)