Life on Debt Consolidation Doesn't Need to be Dull

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Life on Debt Consolidation Doesn't Need to be Dull

• Comments 1

In the hectic world we live in, and with most of us working hard to make ends meet, entertainment and leisure are vitally important to our psychological and social well-being. 

Trouble is, much of what we might love to do, or aspire to do is just so expensive.  When you are working hard to pay off your debt with debt consolidation, spending money on 'fun' just is not an option.

Let's talk for a minute about our day to day entertainment, those free hours after work or on weekends when we should put work on the back burner and enjoy our family, friends, and home.

And do it AFFORDABLY!

I recently saw a television commercial reminding viewers of the simple pleasure of just getting together.  I remember as a child, we often had company on weekends for BBQs, or badmitten games.  It was usually pot luck and an entire afternoon and evening would be spent laughing, eating and enjoying nurturing our relationships. 

These get togethers in back yards are some of my fondest memories, and I still love this.  Nowadays, much emphasis is on meeting for dinner at restaurants, but are we losing something here besides the money we spend for expensive meals???   I think so....... 

My daughter recently moved into a wonderful vintage style apartment building in which the 12 residents have frequent "movie nights" under the stars on their cozy terrace.  Someone has cleverly come up with a way to "project" a movie on to a blank light colored wall of a building next door.  Someone brings popcorn, someone may bring a bottle or two of wine, and another may bring some crackers and cheese.

Everyone brings their own lawn chair, and a great evening is had by all. 

This not only promotes friendship, and a safer environment, but it also provides an almost free evening of good, wholesome entertainment while building friendships.

While reading our little local newsletter, I see that my beloved suburban city has free concerts in our beautiful neighborhood park every weekend.  They are also planning to have free movie and campfire nights as well, where residents are welcomed to bring food and beverages and enjoy a safe night under the stars. The City is also offering very low cost "Dog Days," on which local pet stores offer obedience lessons and fun workshops for dog lovers. 

Most cities now offer weekly or monthly "Downtown Nights" on which there are an array of street musicians, artisans, budget -wise food vendors and a sort of "old school county fair" atmosphere. 

Want to be entertained on a budget???  

Let's get back to opening our homes, exploring our cities, and reading our local news to find free or low cost entertainment options.  This essential part of life really CAN be done affordably.  We just need to do some sleuthing and we'll find some great opportunities to have fun on a shoestring.

Julie Van Wert, Debt Management Plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Julie Van Wert

I am a Medical Social Worker at a community hospital, living in the great state of California. I am married and have three wonderful children, and three beautiful grandsons, with another grandbaby on the way. My family also includes a miniature Dachshund named Conrad. I love gardening and spending time outdoors, but I equally love doing home decorating projects. I've been enrolled in the Debt Management Plan for just under a year, and that has been a real "turning point" in my financial life. I hope you will follow along with my blogs under A Straight Talk on Debt in the CareOne blogs. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • There's loads of ways folk can cut costs - and still enjoy great entertainment!  Things like; waiting for a good movie to come out on Netflix/video rather than forking out cash to go to the cinema, if you're going to go to the cinema then take advantage of special day offers (i.e.  2 for 1), check out free concerts & plays (keep an eye out on listings), take advantage of coupons & restaurant vouchers & dine out once in a while.

Toby

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)