A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Confronting Your Deeper Issues

• Comments 2

Have you been trying to gain complete control of your financial problems, but what you're doing is just not working? 

I've counseled a lot of people during the last few years who have taken classes, read books, and made budget after budget in their quest to make sense out  of their financial situation.  But after a short time, they've gone back to their old habits of spending more than they make and piling on the debt. 

Why does this tend to happen? 

Is it because I just didn't burn all of my incredible wisdom into their brains? 

Could that be it?  I knew it.  Man, I failed so massively.  Where  could I have gone so wrong?  Hold on a minute.  I know. 

Maybe just because a person has some head knowledge about how to change her financial situation, it doesn't mean she gets it emotionally or that she will follow through with action steps. 

Yeah, I knew it!  (Deep breath).  Thank goodness!  Ok, my confidence is back.  I'm better now.

But seriously, why do so many people that seek help to get out of debt don't succeed?  Why do they fail even after they've learned all they need to know to get it done? 

I've discovered that many times, there are deeper issues affecting the situation. 

Maybe they were raised in a poor household, but now buy everything they want, whenever they want, so they will never feel that feeling of deprivation again.  Or, they could be a financial enabler by showing love to friends or family by bailing them out of their bad financial decisions. 

Sometimes they won't change their habits permanently because no matter how bad the situation gets, they know good ole' gramma will be there to bail them out.

My wife Angie and I have had personal experience with a few of these issues.

Money was just one of the many obstacles that we needed to address when we attended marriage counseling a few years back.  I can tell you from personal experience that working on these issues with an experienced psychological counselor, is the best thing we could have done for our marriage and our finances.

Whatever your issues may be, if you find that you're constantly failing at changing your financial habits, It may be wise to seek counseling to work on the deeper issues that are holding you back from your own financial success story. 

You can contact the Financial Therapy Association to find a therapist in your area that can treat a variety of disorders such as financial dependence, underspending, financial rejection, financial infidelity, and financial enabling among others. 

Are there any issues holding you back from getting your finances in shape or getting out of debt?

Jason Cabler, Guest Personal Finance Expert with Leading Provider of Debt Relief CareOne Services, Inc. Dr. Jason Cabler is a Christian personal finance blogger, author, and speaker.  He teaches how to get out of debt and live a debt free lifestyle through his Celebrating Financial Freedom blog and self study course.  His new book "How to Budget- The Quick and Easy Guide to Making a Budget That Works" is now available.  He can be reached for interviews or  speaking engagements by email, and can be found on TwitterFacebook, and Google +.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • T. Harv Eker talks about our need to become aware of our "financial blueprint" - our attitudes towards money, largely subconscious, passed to us from our parents, that determine our success or failure financially. It can be very revealing to ask yourself the question, "What messages did I receive about money as I was growing up?" An honest answer to that question can be the starting point to recognizing and then changing your financial blueprint.

• I agree, you have to recognize where you came from so you can know where you're going.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)